Title issue with vehicle due to odometer; your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Sign the higher odometer and move on

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Make the dealer correct the title and then move on

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSU

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't hate me because I used to be an finance manager at a car dealership. But from what I have read it was simply a mistake.
1. Usually the salesman gets the information off of a trade-in, they take their pad and pen write down the mileage and vin number. After the deal is struck it goes back to F&I to complete the paperwork. Salesman are not known for having the best handwriting, plus they were probably writing on an uneven surface. 4's can look mighty close to 9's. The finance manager probably thought was a 9. Once the deal is booked through the computer the trade in is inventory and it runs through the shop, detail, and hits the floor. Unless someone checked (usually don't) then it is in the system like that.

2. The salesman wrote the wrong number on the paperwork on your deal and the finance manager put that information on the ODO

3. The finance manager could have been busy or lazy and overlooked the mileage on the paperwork - easy to do. On the computer when you enter a stock number it brings up all of the information on file including last recorded mileage. If you do not manually change that then it will be wrong on the ODO, I had a couple reprints because of this.

I highly doubt that a dealer would roll back an ODO. On the new cars it is almost impossible. Plus if they were going to roll it back they would get no gain out of only 500 miles. Also, it is still well under the mileage mark for warranty, so the dealer would have NO incentive to do this.

overall it can be a headache but i am sure you are fine and everything will wash out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom