To cut, or not to cut...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is nice. Riot gun.

i172.photobucket.com_albums_w22_MickeyD1_Stevens620a_1.jpg

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is done. 20" exactly (+/- .002"). I had to put the barrel backwards in my lathe, chucking up on the brake, as the receiver end is too big for my spindle. When I thought it was almost through, I backed off the tail stock about a half inch, and gently pulled on the barrel, away from the chuck, so when it cut through it wouldn't fall, or get torn up on the cutting tool (not to mention break a pricey carbide insert). I turned it at less than 100 RPM. I deburred the i.d. with a large 60 degree ream (about .010" wide bevel), and did the same to the o.d. with a diamond file. Finished it up with a little cold bluing.

Enough talk! Here is a picture!

img.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_Photo01060823.jpg

Next I need to order the bayonet lug/heat shield from Numrich, get an appropriate sling, and M-1917 bayonet!!!

[Broken External Image]

olive_drab.com_images_bayonet_m1917_shotgun.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice job Dave!!!! I would do the same to my 1897, but it belonged to my great grandfather, so its a big no-no. It will go to my son one day!!

I am looking for another 1897 to do that too!!

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks!

I have my grandad's Remington Model 10 takedown that I just can't bring myself to cut. It is on the loose side anyway. The barrel must be 300 feet long. I almost bought a spare barrel to chop for it, but I don't want to waste the $$$ if the fit is loose due to a worn receiver. It's a bottom eject. When I was a teen, and he had passed away, I convinced my grandmother that we needed to pull it out of the corner of her closet and clean it. It was fully loaded, one in the chamber, safety on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom