Today I learned that 'cracker' isn't offensive as long as it is used as a descriptor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cracker was a term used for early cattle ranchers in Florida. Looooong time ago they were called crackers because the bullwhip was their primary tool for herding the cattle. They would "crack" the whip and use the noise (which interestingly is a small sonic boom caused by the end of the whip breaking the sound barrier much like a jet aircraft) instead of yelling which obviously isn't as effective. Everyone in the area just referred to them as "crackers", a term that worn proudly by modern day Florida crackers. However, this was not the basis of the "cracker" used in racial context.

As discussed here "cracker" used as a racial description was indeed based on the good old white saltine cracker. When describing white people a common saying was "white as a cracker" which eventually became just cracker. Initially the term didn't hold any kind of "racial slur" status, it was just as benign as any other word but as time went on and cultures evolved the term took on a negative meaning or hateful description of white people among some blacks, namely the gang culture. "Cracker" is still used, as it's original positive description, among some of the black population but because of it's use now, primarily as an anti-white racial slur by younger inner city blacks, gang members and in the rap/hip hop world, it has being used less and less to avoid being confused as a negative term.

When you hear a black person saying it's not a racial slur they are being truthful, by all rights it's not negative but it has evolved to be primarily negative and, no doubt soon, it won't have any positive meaning. Even today most white people have no idea the word was not a racial anti-white slur not so long ago, so, for all intent and purpose, it has made the transition from positive to negative which makes arguing it's meaning a battle of semantics. (I watched an in depth documentary on the subject..it was very enlightening)

Personally if I were called a cracker it wouldn't bother me at all, I'll just hang on to the original meaning and go from there. Words only have the power we give them so if I don't empower the word it has nothing to hurt or offend me with. I do draw the line on other words though, for example, if you were to call me a b****, I'll calmly, but efficiently, take your naughty bits and wrap them around your head and while you're trying to untie the knot I'll be stomping you into a mud hole and walking you dry. Once I'm done I'll guarantee you'd never call any other woman that without developing a debilitating flinch. :)

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cracker was a term used for early cattle ranchers in Florida. Looooong time ago they were called crackers because the bullwhip was their primary tool for herding the cattle. They would "crack" the whip and use the noise (which interestingly is a small sonic boom caused by the end of the whip breaking the sound barrier much like a jet aircraft) instead of yelling which obviously isn't as effective. Everyone in the area just referred to them as "crackers", a term that worn proudly by modern day Florida crackers. However, this was not the basis of the "cracker" used in racial context.

As discussed here "cracker" used as a racial description was indeed based on the good old white saltine cracker. When describing white people a common saying was "white as a cracker" which eventually became just cracker. Initially the term didn't hold any kind of "racial slur" status, it was just as benign as any other word but as time went on and cultures evolved the term took on a negative meaning or hateful description of white people among some blacks, namely the gang culture. "Cracker" is still used, as it's original positive description, among some of the black population but because of it's use now, primarily as an anti-white racial slur by younger inner city blacks, gang members and in the rap/hip hop world, it has being used less and less to avoid being confused as a negative term.

When you hear a black person saying it's not a racial slur they are being truthful, by all rights it's not negative but it has evolved to be primarily negative and, no doubt soon, it won't have any positive meaning. Even today most white people have no idea the word was not a racial anti-white slur not so long ago, so, for all intent and purpose, it has made the transition from positive to negative which makes arguing it's meaning a battle of semantics. (I watched an in depth documentary on the subject..it was very enlightening)

Personally if I were called a cracker it wouldn't bother me at all, I'll just hang on to the original meaning and go from there. Words only have the power we give them so if I don't empower the word it has nothing to hurt or offend me with. I do draw the line on other words though, for example, if you were to call me a b****, I'll calmly, but efficiently, take your naughty bits and wrap them around your head and while you're trying to untie the knot I'll be stomping you into a mud hole and walking you dry. Once I'm done I'll guarantee you'd never call any other woman that without developing a debilitating flinch. :)

Good try, but its a racial slur meant and taken in the most offensive way. It's "their" word for us and it is purely negative.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL Oh well, the definition I heard was derived from slave owners, handlers, etc that "cracked" the whip on the slaves.
The definition Brandi got is a different variation from what I had heard. I actually "heard" it, not found it on the interwebs,,,,so if its not on the interwebs, it certainly must not be true.
Oh well...whatever I guess :)

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'll play, words like cracker, honky, Chuck, Whitbread, and Oreo ARE racist, but the person you are using them on have to know its a bad thing. A good example of this is the good old "dude". Where I grew up that was the worst verbal insult next to M.F.. Throw either of those out there and it was a fight! To this day when people say the "D" word to me I still react in the I'm going to try to kick the craps out of you. I know the young guys today don't mean it that way at all, but that is m paradigm. Now Honky Cracker, Chuck....well they don't mean a thing to me cause where i grew up there was no one to call me those names, but try Cabron or Culo....and thats like Dude. They are all ment bad, but it depends on Your background as to how bad you take it.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use whatever terms I want as descriptors. If someone earns the label, so be it.

Screw the PC religion zealots. I'm tired of (one group) of people walking on egg shells and kissing ass so they can compete to show who is the least racist. I gladly refuse to participate.

Well said, thats how I roll.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just think how it would play out in the media if Zimmerman had used the N word describing who he had shot. Cracker is a racial term. I grew up in VA.. Once when we were back home on vacation ,we went to a mall. I got out at the entrance to get us on the list at a restaurant. My stepdad was driving. My wife and mom were still in the car also. While I was waiting for traffic to clear so I could cross the street,I heard a black guy tell another one that was coming toward " Hey Leroy don't let that cracker run over you." He was talking about my stepdad. I started to tell him" That cracker fought in WW2 so his sorry ass could walk the streets and be a bigot." Then I thought it wouldn't do any good.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
imgs.xkcd.com_comics_hyphen.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom