Tools and Traveling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably carry way too many tools in my trucks, but I’d rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
I have a good socket set in my tool boxes, and I keep a tool bag with wrenches, plier, channel locks, vise grips, etc, etc behind the drivers seat. I still carry a 4 way in every truck, but last year I bought a big Hercules cordless impact from HF and a set of SAE and metric sockets. I don’t leave home now without the impact.
If I’m going very far, I put my Baer cordless drill and Baer cordless chainsaw in my tool box, because you never know when you might need to cut or drill something.
All my truck came with jacks, but I have either 8k or 10k Lil Red jacks in my tool box too. I hate having to dig the factory jacks out from behind the seat on the side of the road.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i started driving cars still had points, so yes i always carried spare parts and tools to change them.found out early in my life cheap tools were scrap metal in disguise, so i always bought craftsman USA made tools,,i carry plenty,and ALL my tools are high quality ,, u cant have a tool failure on the side of the road,because you dont have another, one of everything is all you have,, a prime example is allen wrenches, if you have to loosen one you will need a very high quality one to loosen something that has been on for years,or decades and maybe rusty too.even my small 1/4 sockets are top quality,,leave the cheap tools at home if one fails there ,not a big deal,,another factor is you may need to barter with someone to get your car fixed or towed,or a tire installed,,and u might not have enough cash ,and that someone wont take plastic...but with plenty of high grade tools ,instead of horror freight junk, bartering is not a problem..and i carry some USA made knives too..one china made tool i do carry is a 35$ 1/2 breaker bar 30" inches long, i use it changing my Aluminum wheels and tires, it can handle plenty of torque,335 ftlbs,,(aluminum wheels must be torqued down more than steel wheels as they dont flex like steel wheels)and if you drive a one ton a 3/4 breaker bar is 60$ and 40 " inches long,1000ftlbs,,NO BATTERIES !!!!!! carry pry bars,cheater pipes,, wood and metal saw,a scissor jack off a one ton truck,it has 2-1 gear reduction,a 10 ton bottle jack,spare bulbs ,fuses,and more stuff i cant remember..AND FYI ,stop buying those over priced worm gear hose clamps,, they dont work all that well (most made in china),use and save those spring type hose clamps that come on your car as OEM,, they are constant tension spring clamps,and will maintain proper tension in all seasons ,cold or summer,, worm type hose clamps will not...it doesnt take a lot of tension to keep a hose on a fitting,most people overtighten a worm gear hose clamp and it cuts into the hose,a OEM spring clamp in good cond will not damage hose and will provide the proper tension year round, even luxury car brands use them as OEM,.the people that run cars at 24 hours of Lemons must be cheap,and they use spring hose clamps,the hose will burst before the clamp will fail..and WD-40 is NOT a rust buster or a spray lube, you will need 2 different cans for those 2..i will soon be carrying a old set of jumper cables converted to welding cables for emergency 12V car battery welding..along with some welding rods.and the flat cheap welding shield that comes with welders that no one uses..

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably carry way too many tools in my trucks, but I’d rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
I have a good socket set in my tool boxes, and I keep a tool bag with wrenches, plier, channel locks, vise grips, etc, etc behind the drivers seat. I still carry a 4 way in every truck, but last year I bought a big Hercules cordless impact from HF and a set of SAE and metric sockets. I don’t leave home now without the impact.
If I’m going very far, I put my Baer cordless drill and Baer cordless chainsaw in my tool box, because you never know when you might need to cut or drill something.
All my truck came with jacks, but I have either 8k or 10k Lil Red jacks in my tool box too. I hate having to dig the factory jacks out from behind the seat on the side of the road.
I've been looking for a jack for my work truck too. Originally, looking at a 10ton or so bottle jack but started leaning towards a 4 ton floor jack instead. I know the floor jack would be better for my truck, or at least easier but think much easier for my equipment trailers. I do have rolling bed cover so storage and safe keeping out of the weather isn't an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom