Tools and Traveling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From experience I always carry tools. I had a water pump go out on a BMW X5 last summer and not one mechanic in W Texas would touch it!. Me and a roughneck ended up changing it on a drilling location in the dirt, heat and wind. Youtube said it would be a 3.5 hr job and thanks to this kid not have big hands we were able to complete the job in 2 hrs. They wont change the oil on a foreign car in Snyder Tx. The big surprised was that no one in Abilene Tx would touch it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry enough tools to change the starter, alternator, battery, belt and water pump, hoses and u-joint if the truck is old enough.
I used to do that but since my disability of getting on my knees let alone trying to lie down and scoot under a car, no freakin way. They would have to call a tow truck for my car and an ambulance for me.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was a poor kid, I parked to go shopping and when I returned to the car I couldn’t start it, the battery was dead. Those were the days that the car hoods had no hood release inside the car and another car was nose-to-nose in front of me.
I pulled out my jumper cables, connected them to my battery and opened the hood on the car parked in front of my car, connected the cables properly and started my car, shut the hoods and one was the wiser as I drove away.
These days people connect the cables incorrectly and blow the electronics so it’s probably a good thing to have inside hood releases.
Did same at Salt Lake City airport 83???
Left a thank you note.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IN my truck on trips or for work I carry a canvas bag of hand tools. More than I need but it fills a 16"L x 8"W x 6"T bag. Also have an electric impact wrench with SAE and metric impact sockets, extensions and a hand ratchet. My work doesn't require me to carry/use tools as I have mechanics at work but since I do tow and pickup and deliver construction equipment occasionally, the tools have come in handy. Last month I had to make a delivery of a 5K reach forklift on my way home. Between McAlester and Henryetta the trailer blew a tire. I also have a specific trailer I always use when I'm towing at work so i carry a spare tire in the bed of my truck. It sorta worked out great. On the side of the Indian Nation TP I off loaded the forklift off the trailer. Lifted the back end of the trailer off the ground completely, used my electric impact to pull off the flat and put on the soare tire. It took all of 15 minutes until I was back in the truck on the road. I tend to overpack for any trip or adventure and this time it paid off.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IN my truck on trips or for work I carry a canvas bag of hand tools. More than I need but it fills a 16"L x 8"W x 6"T bag. Also have an electric impact wrench with SAE and metric impact sockets, extensions and a hand ratchet. My work doesn't require me to carry/use tools as I have mechanics at work but since I do tow and pickup and deliver construction equipment occasionally, the tools have come in handy. Last month I had to make a delivery of a 5K reach forklift on my way home. Between McAlester and Henryetta the trailer blew a tire. I also have a specific trailer I always use when I'm towing at work so i carry a spare tire in the bed of my truck. It sorta worked out great. On the side of the Indian Nation TP I off loaded the forklift off the trailer. Lifted the back end of the trailer off the ground completely,used my electric impact to pull off the flat and put on the soare tire. It took all of 15 minutes until I was back in the truck on the road. I tend to overpack for any trip or adventure and this time it paid off.

When Dewalt came out with those big elect impacts, I was sold on them. Makes tire work easy peasy as you know. I carry one in both trucks and move them to the Jeep when going offroad. I have helped a lot of people with them. Cuts the time way down and that is a safety win when on the side of a public road!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Dewalt came out with those big elect impacts, I was sold on them. Makes tire work easy peasy as you know. I carry one in both trucks and move them to the Jeep when going offroad. I have helped a lot of people with them. Cuts the time way down and that is a safety win when on the side of a public road!
Yep. Mines the Dewalt also. I really like it and super valuable to have on the road.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the Kobalt battery impact wrench from Lowes a couple of years ago. Haven't found a lug nut it won't remove yet.
Even bought an adapter off amazon to make it into a portable drill motor, and a clamshell of drill bits to put in the bag.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry these in my pocket.
IMG_8978.jpeg

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually got to use my tools yesterday on the way home from work. On Hwy 48 near the small town of IXL, two ladies were pulled over onto the side of the Hwy in the grass. Both in Jeep cherokees. As I passed I could see one had a flat tire. Its a pretty rural area so I turned around and asked if I could help. grabbed my Dewalt impact, jacked up the car and changed their tire. At the end one of their husbands or brothers showed up and thanked me and off I went. Glad I had the tools in my truck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom