Tools and Traveling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take tools with me on some trips but I never needed them other than to help someone else. Reminds me when I had a 1966 Ford wagon and I was driving and heard a "click-click-click." And then a smoke like substance coming from under the hood. It turns out that the water pump shaft sheared and the fan blade went through the radiator. A highway patrolman stopped and I asked him if he'd take me to a nearby auto parts place and he did but when I asked if he'd mind taking me back tot the car (wife and children inside) he said he wasn't running a taxi service but he took me back anyway. I had the tools to change out the water pump and managed to limp back home with repeated fillings of the radiator.
But these newer cars need diagnostic gadgets that I don't have.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always have a 156 piece tool kit in my vehicle and it only used it a few times for myself but have used it nearly countless times to help friends in a pinch plus it's handy when you go places even if it's not for automotive repair just to have stuff with you.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a full toolbox like this in all of my cars.
Wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, sockets, hammer, pry bar, fuses, bulbs, wire, hose clamps, electrical/duct tape, etc. Enough to tackle most minor to medium repairs. I also keep a spare belt and set of hoses behind the seat. Extra fluids in the bed or under the hood. It has saved me more than once.

View attachment 500719

I forgot to mention that they are all filled with only the finest Harbor Freight tools. That way if it gets stolen, I'm only out $1.78. 🤣

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I keep in my ride……well almost everything. I have a little tire plug kit and a can of fix-a-flat along with a US E-Tool
1723162467223.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Traveling across country in an SUV, simple tool kid and a cordless impact. Traveling across country to car shows in the truck or Excursion, a fairly extensive tool kit, cordless impact, floor jack, extra set of trailer bearings, box of latex gloves and grease.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I keep in my ride……well almost everything. I have a little tire plug kit and a can of fix-a-flat along with a US E-Tool View attachment 500764
I carry the same setup, battery boost and multi tool kit almost identical to this one. Is this a Cresent brand? Looks same as mine but mine has a pair of needle nose.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks same as mine but mine has a pair of needle nose.
So does this one…..and yes it’s a Crescent. I think I got it at Costco maybe 17-18 years ago??
1723164407080.jpeg

I should mention something I learned when it comes to lithium jumpers. I learned the hard way that they will NOT jump a completely dead battery. There needs to be at least some charge which allows the jumper to run a safety check ie polarity etc… The only one I was able to find that allows you to override the safety is NOCO Boost jumpers. The little button with the red exclamation point turns off those pesky features.

Latest posts

Top Bottom