Topwater Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went float tube fishing Friday night with deerslayer in an awesome 10 acre pond. I got schooled in the finer art of Topwater fishing. I caught 4 fish, 2 small bass and 2 crappie, DS caught 10-12 nice bass including one toad that was probably 6 pounds.... We had a great time, thanks for the invite old fart, I'm buying a new tube and a new rod and reel for the next trip, my fishing gear sucks! Deerslayer should change his name to fishslayer, just sayin.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang that's a big pond! Not a bad haul of fish between two people. I've always thought that would be a fun way to fish. My top water fishing has pretty much been limited to Jitterbugs, Zara Spook's and a couple other oddball lures but the only one that ever consistently caught fish was a red and white Jitterbug.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a bad night as we got started a wee bit late and I was not on my game. Worm fishing is generally good for 40 - 60 bass. Sticky - Have you bought your tube yet??????? From the looks of all the spawning nests, next time we need to fish with crickets and hammer some bluegill. I guess I am in trouble again with your wife cause you are out spending money again.:urwelcome: When you get your tube we will go again but earlier so we can work the bass over with purple worms. We need to try nighttime crappie fishing with lights on one trip.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last summer I broke out a bunch of vintage top water baits. Almost all were red n white. Oreno's, wood jitter bugs, bunch of Al Foss shimy lures. Even used steel rods, knuckle bustering reels with dacron lines. Them old topwaters worked as good as anything.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys had a great evening!
I like the big buzz baits, and the zara spooks for top water, but it's hard to got the right action for the spook from a tube.
What deerslayer was using seems to be the ticket.

Caught one the biggest I've ever caught on a classic double propped Devils Horse Dancer.

I may have just recently ran across that lure while sorting out things at my Moms old house. Have to get the props tuned up and put it back to work:D

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bassin - Do you have a tube or flippers???? As I recall you don't. You are do a trip out there with me. I KNOW you have some red/white GO GETTERS. I may order some more red/whites after what I have seen on these 2 trips. This could turn into a weekly trip.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Grew up fishing moss and lily pad infested Osage Co ponds using rubber frogs and mice/rat lures. You could see the moss hump up under the rats a couple times before the bass would break through. Top water the last hour of light in summer was good fishing and hard to beat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom