Tough decision. Its going to cause some issues.......Ford or Chevy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yup, but the lariat packages are still in line with the LTZ package from Chevrolet or that Denali package from GMC - but the GM products are more expensive in general. Hard to compare apples to apples on this, and thats they way the big three like it. Get the consumer lost in option packages, body colors, optional mud flaps and inner fender valances and before you know it, the average dude (or dudette) just gives up and buys at the last lot he was on. (statisitcs show the average American car buyer buys the third car they look at, new or used)

Oh, and the new Platinum packages from Ford - ugh what a waste.

it would take a LOT of changes, and I mean a LOT for me to go back to a GM product. Wife loves her Nissan Altima, I love my F-250.

We even thought about trading in her Altima at one point when the new Camaros came out, but with the poor performance and high cost of repairs on the Silverado, we opted to pass on another GM.

Now, we are looking at new Maxima's for her. In general, I don't like to buy new vehicles, but the wife's never owned one so we're going to take the hit. She's worth it. :wink2:

FWIW: my best bud traded in his Silverado 2500 for a Dodge 3/4 ton Laramie and never looked back either.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent some time in an FX4 and a Z71 today. Man that is a tough one. The New Chevy's are nice. However, I want something that is a little more aggressive. THe FX4 just screams Offroad truck while the Chevy says I'm shiny and have a transfer case.

Going to look at two more Fx4s tomorrow. On a good note my dad won't shun me with going Ford.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ford has taken government loans:

Although Ford did not need money from the $80 billion bailout program, Ford did receive $5.9 billion in government loans in 2009 to retool its manufacturing plants to produce more fuel-efficient cars, and the company lobbied for and benefited from the cash-for-clunkers program — contrary to the ad’s testimonial that Ford is “standing on their own.”

Heh....you even said the "key" word. That word was "loan." A far cry from a bailout and the Ford investors still have their investment.

We have a Ford F450 to tow our fifth wheel "home" and an F150 as our daily driver and "scout car." We had some friends in our F150 recently (not FX4) and they were impressed with the ride. Said it actually rode better then their car did, and they were in the back seat.

We've owned them all over our many years of owning vehicles and the Fords have given us a lot less trouble than either Dodge or GM. Then, after the bailout, I decided that I'd never have either of the others again. We also stay with American because once one gets away from the metropolitan area and over 100 miles out, the dealerships for the foreign jobs thin out quickly.

You are close, so take a trip out to Diffee Ford in El Reno. We've been dealing with them for over 15 years. Ask for Terry Hamner if you want someone that knows more about trucks.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i own a 2013 1500 z71 4x4 crewcab and the interior rattles a lot. my 2008 f150 xlt doesnt make any noise.

Seriously common/easy to fix first world problem. Tons of DIY out there, or you can get a reputable dealer to take care of it. Push them for the padded tape.

Owned a few Ford's, more transmissions than any brand of truck should randomly blow. All at 75k-ish miles. Never again. Set out with the Allison GM in 05, not turning back for pulling.
I'll take the Tacoma any day for a hunt/play in the woods. But the prius is the daily driver in these mad times

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a '13 F150 STX with the 5.0; I love the truck.

If you can wait a year, the '15 F150 will be a new design. There are lots of rumors about it, but a weight reduction (and associated mileage boost) is one of the more persistent.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heh....you even said the "key" word. That word was "loan." A far cry from a bailout and the Ford investors still have their investment.

We have a Ford F450 to tow our fifth wheel "home" and an F150 as our daily driver and "scout car." We had some friends in our F150 recently (not FX4) and they were impressed with the ride. Said it actually rode better then their car did, and they were in the back seat.

We've owned them all over our many years of owning vehicles and the Fords have given us a lot less trouble than either Dodge or GM. Then, after the bailout, I decided that I'd never have either of the others again. We also stay with American because once one gets away from the metropolitan area and over 100 miles out, the dealerships for the foreign jobs thin out quickly.

You are close, so take a trip out to Diffee Ford in El Reno. We've been dealing with them for over 15 years. Ask for Terry Hamner if you want someone that knows more about trucks.

That's what the " bail outs" everyone keeps bitching about are for GM and Chrysler. Loans. Until they are paid back the .gov owns part of company.
So Ford is in the same boat as the other 2, they just did not get the money at the same time the others did, they got before the others did.

Also for those who are on the .gov bail out kick, why buy a Ford at all when they are union built? The UAW is one of obamas largest supporters. So why contribute to their well being? If you want to go full on rant, then purchase a non union made vehicle.

Toyota FTW. Non union made, Made in Texas, no .gov loans or "bail out money" and a 85% US made parts content.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents. I had a 08 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD and loved it but want more features. I bought the 11 Tundra Crewmax Platinum and absolutely loved that machine. Downfall! Both Tundras sucked in mpg. I started looking at the Ford Ecoboost and decided to give it a shot. Bought the 12 F150 FX4 Ecoboost. Love the navigation and sync. Like the ecoboost. Hate the turning radius, handling and brakes. Looked at the 14 Tundra yesterday and might dump the F150. Well maybe that was a dimes worth.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i'm a chevy guy but i will say the ford will out tow the chevy. i do most of my own work and can still work on a chevy some. the parts are usually less expensive and the time frame is usually less for the same job. a friend had an 09 king ranch, i'd rather lay on a bed of nails before i had to ride in those seats for any length of time! that being said, i still look at the raptor with googly eyes...

Latest posts

Top Bottom