Tough decision. Its going to cause some issues.......Ford or Chevy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Ecco-boost crew cab and use it like a sedan. I really like it for that purpose, how ever if I had to tow or carry a load very much it would not work for me.
Why's that? The EB35 has the same tow rating as the 6.2, and both have a higher tow rating than the 5.0--unless you're talking about the short box on the SuperCrew.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats....

.....but, we have an issue.

You are 32 and I am 67. LOVE THAT TAILGATE STEP!!!! Especially since it is on my Ford F450 and I'm about 60 lbs overweight.

I like the tailgate step also, but I hate the stripper pole as it is in the way of everything that goes across the tailgate. So I removed the pole, and used the flat plate off of the non-step tailgate. Problem solved...

Nice choice on the color of the truck, mine is OW as well.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here. Watch the whole series, it's amazing! Particularly the first one where they torture the thing on the dyno. Having worked extensively with aluminum, the engineering that went into the block and head castings is just awesome. I never thought it would be possible to design an engine to withstand the kind of thermal shock that they put that thing through. And those turbo's bearings are of course oil lubricated from the engine sump AND water cooled. My money is that they will last just fine.

I've seen the video before but there is a difference between simulated wear and actual years of use. In my experience, when you try and make a smaller engine perform like a larger engine, this comes at the expense of reliability. Just a bad concept IMO. YMMV.

I'll just leave this here.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/28/ford-f150-ecoboost-governemnt-probe/2367197/

Last edited by a moderator:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own an EB, but in concept for me I would go another direction. That's just my opinion, and not meant to insult any EB owners.

I'm always looking for a truck that will deliver 125K to 150K miles with very minimal costs outside of typical maintenance. To me I would like to see the EB's track record on this before I invest in that technology. Like everything new, these things need some time to shake out all of the bugs...

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i am late to this thread, but glad to see you made the right decision. ;)

I have a 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost and its great. 30k on it so far and not one issue. My previous F250 never once went to the dealer for any service either. I was a chevy guy until 2006 but I could never go back. My business partner has a 2012 Chevy and always was teasing me that I spent to much on buying a "luxury" truck because it was so much nicer. His LTZ doesnt have many features that I enjoy like the air condition seats and the ride quality is night and day. We always take my truck for out of town work. And the Ecoboost will smoke it too. :)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen the video before but there is a difference between simulated wear and actual years of use. In my experience, when you try and make a smaller engine perform like a larger engine, this comes at the expense of reliability. Just a bad concept IMO. YMMV.

I'll just leave this here.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/28/ford-f150-ecoboost-governemnt-probe/2367197/

I agree with you on the simulated milage thing. But I'll say this. There are only two ways to trash an engine faster than what they did to it on the dyno.
1) Run it without oil.
2) Run it without coolant.

If I were tasked with intentionally trashing an engine and I had to use the required oil and coolant, what I would do is exactly what they did. I'd deep freeze the engine, fire it and go full throttle with a full load immediately. And I'd do it over and over again until it failed. Most engines won't take too much of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom