tracking dogs for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogBabe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I could possibly be talked out of the leash thing as long as the GW was in the loop. If we are going to open the season on blood trailing dogs at any bodies discretion, we are right back at somebody dumping out a dozen beagles in the hollar to find the wounded deer, while a half dozen buddies are on the other side, "sitting in their tree stands".
Btw, I've owned trail dogs, beagles and walkers since 1975, running rabbits, and coons. Just in the past few years getting into bird dogs. Leash training is an integral part of how I train a dog to trail. It may take a little longer on a leash, but the dogs nose will almost always win.

Dennis,
Please don't misunderstand me, a leash is essential for training and even most of tracking. But there are times and situations when the dog should be released. They must be very trained for this part of the track to do it properly as well as be completely under control. So most sofa dogs would have problems. (Sorry Gerti!) But, as a safety issue, dogs don't go off leash unless absolutely necessary. It's just that sometimes it is necessary. But if someone is in the woods with more than one dog and they claim they are tracking a deer.....the BS radar should go off immediately anyway.
Tracking and trailing are different things, but there are some dogs who can do either/both quite well with a little work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom