tracking dogs for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Viking... I never claimed to be better than anyone or always follow the rules.
Your the one who broke a law, admitted to it then questioned someone's else ethics. Kind of hypocritical isn't it?
I'm with you though, just a conversation and I myself am not taking any of this to heart either.

DogBabe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is the "spirit of the law" and there is the "letter of the law". If these were the same and black and white, we wouldn't need courts of law to constantly interpret what a law means when a dispute arises. Everyone here clearly understands what the letter of this law is and what it means. Surely everyone here can recognize that this law is intended to prevent the running of deer with dogs as a means of taking game and was not written to prevent finding a lost animal with a blood tracking dog. So, until someone is prosecuted in Oklahoma for using a blood tracking dog to recover a lost deer that was otherwise taken in a legal manner, you can not definitively state that this is "against the law". If such a prosecution held up through the appeals process and the decision became legal precedent, that would be a different story. People sue in court all the time for the sole purpose of testing the validity of a law and this one would probably be a good one to test if you had enough money and nothing better to do.
Until that happens, I prefer to rely on common sense. That includes a call to the GW to let him know what I'm doing and where I am and not carrying a firearm when I go. It really is that simple.
As far as the "on a leash" thing, I strongly disagree with that. There are blood tracking methods that require the dog be off leash and not having that option would be a large handicap.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is the "spirit of the law" and there is the "letter of the law". If these were the same and black and white, we wouldn't need courts of law to constantly interpret what a law means when a dispute arises. Everyone here clearly understands what the letter of this law is and what it means. Surely everyone here can recognize that this law is intended to prevent the running of deer with dogs as a means of taking game and was not written to prevent finding a lost animal with a blood tracking dog. So, until someone is prosecuted in Oklahoma for using a blood tracking dog to recover a lost deer that was otherwise taken in a legal manner, you can not definitively state that this is "against the law". If such a prosecution held up through the appeals process and the decision became legal precedent, that would be a different story. People sue in court all the time for the sole purpose of testing the validity of a law and this one would probably be a good one to test if you had enough money and nothing better to do.
Until that happens, I prefer to rely on common sense. That includes a call to the GW to let him know what I'm doing and where I am and not carrying a firearm when I go. It really is that simple.
As far as the "on a leash" thing, I strongly disagree with that. There are blood tracking methods that require the dog be off leash and not having that option would be a large handicap.

+1 for common sense. Too bad there are so many out there without this trait, requiring bonehead rules and regs for the rest.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually AllOut I only said that a friend of mine had a little rat terrier that was really good at finding a deer. I arrived at his house one afternoon to actually pull turnips and he was in the woods behind his house looking for a deer he had shot that morning..While I was there the little rat terrier found the dead deer and was barking just like it was a big squirrel. Problem solved..he found his deer and I got my turnips..I did say that if needed I would use my trusty shoe fetcher Girty. But I did say IF..I agree with a lot of what you said except the hypocritical part..I my friend may be a lot of things..some of them good and some not so good....But I'm sure not hypocrite...but once again...no offense taken..Maybe we can even go deer hunting together sometime..I'll make a deal with you...I'll leave Girty home and you don't road hunt..Have a good one.:)

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know..no problem but since I've been talking about my shoe dog I wanted to show her in action..actually she's watching a ball game cause I can see her OSU collar..she is so excited you can see why she probably don't need to be on a leash..
i257.photobucket.com_albums_hh203_eberlerp_IMG_0508.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I could possibly be talked out of the leash thing as long as the GW was in the loop. If we are going to open the season on blood trailing dogs at any bodies discretion, we are right back at somebody dumping out a dozen beagles in the hollar to find the wounded deer, while a half dozen buddies are on the other side, "sitting in their tree stands".
Btw, I've owned trail dogs, beagles and walkers since 1975, running rabbits, and coons. Just in the past few years getting into bird dogs. Leash training is an integral part of how I train a dog to trail. It may take a little longer on a leash, but the dogs nose will almost always win.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will have to get a picture of the buck my 13 year old niece shot last year with my Dad. He just had knee surgery and could not track it in the dense stuff. We found the bones and rack this year piled up about 40 yards from where they last saw it under a cedar tree. Me and my brother did not hunt that weekend. Crying shame that she was not able to recover the deer in a timely and usable fashion.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, since your're mine and Girty's friend I won't even tell her tonight that you compared her to a beagle and even worse..a walker hound..She would sure have her feelings hurt toward you..

Latest posts

Top Bottom