tracking dogs for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter why it's illegal... But it is!
I like how a lot of you guys are admitting to doing something you know is illegal but trying to justify it by saying u don't agree with the law.
Here is one for ya... Maybe I don't agree with the road hunting law. Why? Well the deer are owned by the state, I'm on a public road and I have the right to retrieve my deer if it goes on your property. Not saying I really believe that, but would it make it ok for me to do it if I did?

C'mon, you gotta be pragmatic about some things. Life is not black and white. Equating blood trailing dogs with road hunting is disingenuous. There is discretion involved in the enforcement and resulting penalties of most any law.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter why it's illegal... But it is!
I like how a lot of you guys are admitting to doing something you know is illegal but trying to justify it by saying u don't agree with the law.
Here is one for ya... Maybe I don't agree with the road hunting law. Why? Well the deer are owned by the state, I'm on a public road and I have the right to retrieve my deer if it goes on your property. Not saying I really believe that, but would it make it ok for me to do it if I did?
If I ever have to use my yellow lab to find my deer you'll be the first I send a pm to to come help me look. Maybe you can road hunt on the way to the field. After all, I'll be doing something just as bad as you road hunting..Hey,I can even call my county game warden (he only lives 2 miles from where I hunt) and tell him to forget the road hunter, me and my deer chasing yellow lab are in the woods, better come save all the deer from her jaws of death...

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now lets see. If I got a big deer down, go home get my lab and my shot gun with bird shot and go quail hunting in the same brush thicket I saw my deer run into? Is this still as bad as road hunting? Some people just amaze me..But then, I'm a graduate of Sasakwa University and so I'm pretty easy to amaze. I'm done

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess Im not seeing it but I don't see where it says its illegal to use dogs to track a downed deer.

Dogs For Hunting
Dogs may not be used in taking bear, deer, elk, antelope and turkey.
Except as otherwise provided, nothing shall prohibit the year-round pursuit of game (species that can be lawfully hunted with dogs) for dog training or sport only. However, unless otherwise provided, no person in pursuit of game with hunting dogs outside the regular harvest season shall possess the means to harvest such game.

Your not using the dog to harvest the animal. The deer has already been shot and you are using it to recover a downed animal. I don't think any game warden in Oklahoma would ticket you for doing so.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always thought I could track a mouse across a rock by its foot prints, but took a snap shot once on a doe getting ready to jump a fence. By the time the brain, finger, lock time, and bullet flight occurred, she was starting to be airborne. By the time she hit the ground on the other side of the fence, most of the intestines were hanging out of the body cavity. The bullet opened her up. No blood, nothing but leaves disturbed by the dragging intestines. Should have been an easy tracking job, but she hit some grass areas, and the trail went away.
Walked circles for hours looking for sign, before jumping her laying behind a log. She ran dragging guts like she wasn't even hurt. I sat and waited an hour. I'm into the 5th hour of tracking her, basically wandering the woods hoping to see a long lump in the leaves.
Finally spotted her standing, and finished the hunt. If it had been a shot in the evening, there would have not been a chance in hell for a recovery.
It was pure luck that she happened to be there. If she had been standing 20 yds to the left, she would have been yote bait, as I was ready to give it up by that time. I've lost one in my lifetime of hunting, and if a dog had been available, I would have payed. I felt sick for a week afterward.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess Im not seeing it but I don't see where it says its illegal to use dogs to track a downed deer.

Your not using the dog to harvest the animal. The deer has already been shot and you are using it to recover a downed animal. I don't think any game warden in Oklahoma would ticket you for doing so.
I have questioned Tracy, and other GW's in public meetings about this. They said its not legal, and the folks running deer with dogs in SE OK are the reason this law is still on the books.
Whether they choose to enforce that law, would probably be at the discretion of the GW considering the circumstances.
Before I would attempt to do this, I would certainly contact the GW in the county where the deer was killed.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have questioned Tracy, and other GW's in public meetings about this. They said its not legal, and the folks running deer with dogs in SE OK are the reason this law is still on the books.
Whether they choose to enforce that law, would probably be at the discretion of the GW considering the circumstances.
Before I would attempt to do this, I would certainly contact the GW in the county where the deer was killed.

Ok fair enough. I was about to email Spencer but Im sure he would give the same answer as Tracy

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Point is, a law is a law. Some of you have knowingly broke it and admitting to it on an open forum. Then claim it's ok cause u don't agree with the law. The other point is, where do we draw the line on which laws we agree with and should follow. For some it could get real bad, like my road hunting BS.

As for "we owe it to the deer to do everything to find it (even break the law)" Your taking the Deers life, u think it gives a crap if u find it, eat it, cut it's head off and hang it on the wall or leave it for the coyotes and vultures? Probably not cause it's dead. Ya it's nice to find every deer we shoot, but it doesn't always happen and that's something us as hunters just have to deal with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom