tracking dogs for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer are not owned by the state.
Enforcement of laws reguarding deer are the responsibility of the state.

Actually they do, it's technically.... "in trust"

Here is the actually definition if you will.

"State wildlife laws are based on the principle, states own the wildlife within their borders to be held “in trust” for their citizens"

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AllOut said:
The Point is, a law is a law. Some of you have knowingly broke it and admitting to it on an open forum. Then claim it's ok cause u don't agree with the law. The other point is, where do we draw the line on which laws we agree with and should follow. For some it could get real bad, like my road hunting BS.

As for "we owe it to the deer to do everything to find it (even break the law)" Your taking the Deers life, u think it gives a crap if u find it, eat it, cut it's head off and hang it on the wall or leave it for the coyotes and vultures? Probably not cause it's dead. Ya it's nice to find every deer we shoot, but it doesn't always happen and that's something us as hunters just have to deal with.

I believe your playing the devils advocate here but as a hunter I believe I have a responsiblity to do the right thing and find and retrieve every animal I shoot. Its cruel and immoral to just leave an animal to rot.

Btw I sure hope your not a role model for any young hunters as you have a terrible attitude about hunting ethics.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as breaking the law and openly admiting it, I will just start counting all the guys that pass me on the way to work. I drive exactly 65 and get passed lots of times in the 15 miles I drive. Since it's dark a few of the ones that are a lot more important at their job than I am they even pass on a hill. I guess my question is: Does any of the kids that you are playing role model for ever see you drive faster than the speed limit..It's the law and if you do then you are openly breaking the law..I know this is just a friendly conversation and so please don't think I'm upset. I'm just using another example like you did with the road hunting example. I also figure it all depends on the relation you have with your game warden. I'm willing to bet that if I had to use my dog to find a deer and my warden saw me..I'm betting he would stop and help..All of you all have a wonderful day..I enjoyed the conversation......Sasakwa

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have questioned Tracy, and other GW's in public meetings about this. They said its not legal, and the folks running deer with dogs in SE OK are the reason this law is still on the books.

Bahahaha, SE Oklahoma to blame? Really? Say it ain't so!

Sadly, I used to participate in that quite often down here. Hell, that's how I grew up deer huntin, and that's just the way it was. The ol men had been doing it for 50+ years in the same spot. Didn't feel like we were doing anything illegal, and game warden didn't seem to mind as he drove by. But even in the last 15 years things have changed down here a bit. I've got no problem with people tracking a wounded deer with a hound, as long as that excuse is in the right context. I don't want some ol boy kicking out a load of beagles down the road from my stand claiming to have a "wounded one" down in the draw. But a lap dog on a leash, trailing an animal that I would not otherwise recover, is nothing but responsible IMO.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a call into my Okla Co. GW to get his thoughts on the subject. I see everyones side on this subject and agree with all parties. Let's see what another GW thoughts are.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AllOut said:
Actually they do, it's technically.... "in trust"

Here is the actually definition if you will.

"State wildlife laws are based on the principle, states own the wildlife within their borders to be held “in trust” for their citizens"

Basically saying the same thing, with different wording

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bahahaha, SE Oklahoma to blame? Really? Say it ain't so!
I don't want some ol boy kicking out a load of beagles down the road from my stand claiming to have a "wounded one" down in the draw. But a lap dog on a leash, trailing an animal that I would not otherwise recover, is nothing but responsible IMO.

Don't shoot the messenger. I asked the question about blood trailing wounded deer, at a public meeting, of the ODW. Minutes of the meeting were taken, and the answer I got has been placed on record. I'm still not happy with the response.
My personal opinion that ive stated on this subject in this forum is that the ODW should allow it , and if they want to charge a nominal fee to license a dog handler, I wouldn't have a problem with that either.
The dog must remain on a leash at all times, and the handler should have to notify the county GW before going in the field.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't agree with the staying on a leash at all times. My dog ain't going to get 50 feet from me no matter what, probably scare her to death if she lost sight of me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom