Tranny shop suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. But from what I’ve heard is that once the converter goes it trashes the entire system? I don’t really know a lot about car transmissions.
That I’m not sure on, but if you’re willing to read some forums or check for a fb group I bet that’s your best bet before taking it in to get a handle on what might be going on. I’m waiting to hear back from my friend, but otherwise I think Jevapa’s advice is best, take it in to the dealer who can flush it and potentially run it for electronic gremlins. They’ll also most likely give a good warranty on replacing the transmission. There’s no good answers for these things on the newer trucks.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might find a tranny shop down around NW 39 and Penn, there are related businesses down there as well, didn't know you were that persuasion, but we have a big tent here.
If you were looking for a transmission shop, there was a good one around 3rd and N Western, but I believe it changed hands.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old rule was 20,000 miles and then change the fluid and filter.
Do not forget about the differential fluid either I like 20,000 miles on that stuff. 50,000 for easy driving stuff.
I pound on my stuff.
My Front wheel drives get the drain plug on the transmission pulled every other oil change or 6,000 miles.
Usually takes 3-4 quarts on those 4 cylinder Toyota's.

Most people just drive and drive and never think about fluids breaking down.

I do not know where to go but B&I transmission parts/converters may know a good place, you have received a few suggestions to follow up on.
Keep maintenance up on this next one.
And cross your fingers.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had Blumenthal at NW 3rd & Western do my last 2 transmissions. They will stand by their service.
On the recent one for my 94 K2500, it was great, but then suddenly started having issues after a couple of weeks. The torque converter was staying locked up. Got it back to them and they found that something had hit and damaged the wiring harness going to the transmission causing it to short and keep the lockup solenoid engaged. They repaired it and didn't even charge me. I've driven it about 1000 miles since then. So far so good.

I will also say, I had R-Core on Council do 2 transmissions about 2-3 years ago. Both have since failed and had to be rebuilt again. On one we found they had cracked the valve body and on the other (the truck mentioned above), I had issues within a month, took it back and basically had to pressure them into fixing it under warranty. It never felt right and of course, just out of warranty, it developed an overheating issue and would constantly lose overdrive. Now it's working like a dream after the recent rebuild.

Last edited:

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^ Yes Blumenthal also came to mind for me. They are a well established shop for this kind of thing.

Merle's on Shields south of I240 is also one of the old school garages that might do them.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American Transmission on Penn does good work, think he's been there 50 something years now.

He did one for me about 15 years ago. It outlived the truck. I'd guess it made it about 150K miles before the engine broke and the truck was sold for parts.

And yes, it seems like I'm forever getting transmissions rebuilt, but rarely on the same vehicles. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom