Tranny shop suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Noon

Marksman
Reaction score
I WOULDN"T recommend Keith's Transmission. our mechanic diagnosed 4x4 Jeep shifting problem as transmission problem Keith's transmission shop confirmed it as bad transmission, needing to be rebuilt. $2k later and a month later, got it back, still had the same problem shifting. "Oh the transmission was bad, but you must have some other problem not related to the transmission"

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh sorry to hear about your transmission woes… really sucks. Fix/sell that GM POS, then buy a tundra or Tacoma.

I’ve seen several tundras with 275k+ miles on original tranny still shifting fine. (mostly older ones).

A guy I work with recently spent $4,500 getting a transmission done on his 2010 tundra. But it made it to 250k first and he pulled a cargo trailer regularly too

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ugh sorry to hear about your transmission woes… really sucks. Fix/sell that GM POS, then buy a tundra or Tacoma.

I’ve seen several tundras with 275k+ miles on original tranny still shifting fine. (mostly older ones).

A guy I work with recently spent $4,500 getting a transmission done on his 2010 tundra. But it made it to 250k first and he pulled a cargo trailer regularly too
Yeah, I think I’m selling it once I get it fixed. Or at least soon after. Might drive it 6 months to a year to get some moneys worth out of the cost of the transmission repair. Whoever buys the truck is gonna get a sweet deal, the engine was rebuilt from a short block with an all new top end at 86k, AC condenser at 110k, and now a new tranny at 126k.

Selling my Land Cruiser was a huge mistake. I can’t wait to get into another one.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I think my tranny is doing its best to get retired. Slipping bad, not staying in gear, etc. Only have 126k miles on this POS. I'm gonna go get the tranny flushed/etc and the oil changed, hopefully that fixes it. But if it doesn't, anyone have suggestions of a Tranny shop that isn't gonna completely screw me in the OKC area? Truck is a Chevy Silverado if that's necessary for finding the right shop.
The rear seal is probably worn out and 5#!+ probably keeps dripping out of it's rear hole. Use some thicker lube. You need to just keep dumping thicker ATF down it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to blumenthals, they’ll rebuild my existing tranny, replace the cooler and torque converter for about $4800. 5-7 business day turn around.

That just sounds like an insane amount of money to me for one of the most common transmissions on the planet.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rear seal is probably worn out and 5#!+ probably keeps dripping out of it's rear hole. Use some thicker lube. You need to just keep dumping thicker ATF down it.

So I think my tranny is doing its best to get retired. Slipping bad, not staying in gear, etc. Only have 126k miles on this POS. I'm gonna go get the tranny flushed/etc and the oil changed, hopefully that fixes it. But if it doesn't, anyone have suggestions of a Tranny shop that isn't gonna completely screw me in the OKC area? Truck is a Chevy Silverado if that's necessary for finding the right sho
I think that changing your ATF is just going to make things worse, Unless you change it on a regular basis to prevent the lose fibers from the clutch disks from wearing down the fibbers that are on the clutch disks then changing the ATF would make things worse.

The lose fibers from the clutch disks are now acting as a thickener and changing the ATF would probbbably cause ore slippage. It is better to add a thicker ATF like the type ford uses. Do not use the stuff for manual transmissions unless you are out in ye middle of nowhere and the transmission will not go no matter how hig you rev it.

If you do change it AND IT GETS EVEN WORSE then just drain the new ATF and add some additives and some Ford ATF Supertech type F or Mercron Dextron should work. Use the cheapest ford ATF you can find.

The only reason I say ford is because their ATF is thicker. look on some racing forums. ATF is basiclly mineral oil or hydraulic fluid. The major difference is viscosity. I don't think increasing the viscosity will blow your transmission. That usually only happens when the RPM's are really high. Increasing the viscosity in motor oil is different because you need to lubricate the heads and that is donr by bringing the oil from the bottom to the top via pushrods and holes in the piston connecting rods etc. Transmissions work in a horizontal axis

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to blumenthals, they’ll rebuild my existing tranny, replace the cooler and torque converter for about $4800. 5-7 business day turn around.

That just sounds like an insane amount of money to me for one of the most common transmissions on the planet.
DAMN, just drop the old one and trade it in for a new one at NAPA. Get a mobile mechanic to do it. Look around on facebook and get quotes. Get one quote and if the next one is cheaper then go on to the next guy. If the 3rd guy is higher say..can;t do it, already got a quote for this much...you are going to have to beat that price.

DO NOT PAY THEM BEFORE. HAVE THEM DRIVE YOU IN THE TRUCK TO THE BANK TO PICK UP THE MONEY. If it breaks down, have them fix it on the side of the road. take a uber home and have them drive it to your house when they get done.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DAMN, just drop the old one and trade it in for a new one at NAPA. Get a mobile mechanic to do it. Look around on facebook and get quotes. Get one quote and if the next one is cheaper then go on to the next guy. If the 3rd guy is higher say..can;t do it, already got a quote for this much...you are going to have to beat that price.

DO NOT PAY THEM BEFORE. HAVE THEM DRIVE YOU IN THE TRUCK TO THE BANK TO PICK UP THE MONEY. If it breaks down, have them fix it on the side of the road. take a uber home and have them drive it to your house when they get done.
https://www.facebook.com/asa.i.chandler

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There ridiculous on everything they do up there.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Wow. That's a bit more than it was on my 94 K2500 4x4. Of course I didn't replace the cooler. I'd also bet it must have something to do with the model year. It seems the newer the car, the more expensive it gets. (More **** to move out of the way and more computer controls to deal with most likely.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom