Transporting firearms on aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I don't like flying is that some airports are not as accommodating for inspection. Some want the code/key to your bag and want to inspect it without you there. I have flown with a pistol plenty of times as well.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I don't like flying is that some airports are not as accommodating for inspection. Some want the code/key to your bag and want to inspect it without you there. I have flown with a pistol plenty of times as well.
That relates to the point I intended to make with the earlier "hacking" post. Technically you're only supposed to use "TSA Approved" locks that they already have the key for and can open for inspection without your presence, or at least that was the case a year or so ago.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a pelican case with a combination lock and key lock(haven't flown since the TSA locks were made mandatory). they can't open it without the code and have asked for the code so they could open/inspect without my presence.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the point of this thread was if you're going to be a TSA spokesman talking about transporting firearms on aircraft, please don't make up your own shaT.

well....it is the TSA. What have they done besides grope us, steal from us, and let unauthorized items through checkpoints. They haven't stopped any major targeted attacks. One of the most useless government entities ever.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've flown many times with one or two pistols in my checked baggage. Here are my understanding of the regulations, which have always worked flawlessly with me:

• Firearm(s) should be unloaded.
  • Magazines should be unloaded.
  • Ammunition should be stored in a "factory" case and not in the magazine (semi) or the gun (revolver.)
  • All of these things should be locked in a gun case, to which only the passenger has the keys. (NOT a TSA lock.)
  • Entire locked gun case should be locked within a suitcase which has TSA locks on it.
  • Signed TSA declaration should be place on top of the gun case before the suitcase is closed.

Additional steps I take:

• Leave slide back on my semi-auto.
  • Leave magazine out of gun.

I have never had a problem other than a couple anomalies:

• In (I think) New Orleans the AA ticket agent (where you initially declare the firearm) asked me to demonstrate to her that it wasn't loaded. This was before I started leaving the slide back so I questioned her, "Just to confirm, you're asking me to lift this gun right here in the airport, pull the slide back and show you that it's not loaded?" She confirmed that's what she wanted and did so. She kind of mocked me for questioning her and stated to me that is how it's done everywhere. I politely told her that while that may be their policy there I have traveled substantially with a gun and this is the only time anyone had ever asked me to handle it in front of them. In fact, most just take your word for it when you sign the form saying the gun is unloaded. Other than that, no drama.

• In Denver they take you somewhere else to immediately x-ray your bag when you're still there. They then send the (now secure) bag back into the non-secure area with a skycap who is supposed to take it back to the ticket counter and put in on the conveyor belt. The guy thought I was crazy when I insisted on accompanying him back and making sure it gets to the counter. It seemed like an odd process to me. I assume (hope) they were going to x-ray it again somewhere but I just didn't like the idea of my bag being with one guy who could add something to it or walk away with it or whatever.
I've been known to carry a gun on trips when I never really even had an opportunity to carry while away (due to bar-hopping and consuming of adult beverages) but always do so just to exercise the right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom