Troubleshooting Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My auto service days are long past, so I humbly call on the OSA experts with a somewhat puzzling question. One of our vehicles is a 2013 ford edge, 3.5 L 6 cyl, with about 140,000 miles. Under moderate acceleration there is a bit of a stuttering that seems like a plug issue, clogged fuel line, something. It isn’t noticeable under stronger acceleration. One ford dealer was unable to diagnose.

Now, the real question of this post. The issue is less noticeable when using higher octane gas.

Any thoughts?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Auto. Transmission was also on my thoughts. This has been in the family since new, the last four years it has been with one of the grandsons at college. Son-in-law had transmission serviced at the beginning of that usage.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under moderate acceleration there is a bit of a stuttering
Moderate/light throttle acceleration hesitation/stumbling is a classic symptom of coils that are on their way out. If they weren’t changed when the plugs were done, they probably need to be done. Personally, I do the plugs and coils as a unit—you have to pull the coils to pull the plugs, so it’s just as easy to put new coils in with the new plugs.

FWIW, my truck got well over 100K miles (I want to say it was closer to 150K) on the factory plugs and coils, but the new (OEM) coils started stuttering after something like 30K miles. The replacements for the second set are still going strong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom