Trump says Sen. Inhofe 'will not' allow Confederate names to be removed from military bases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-sen-inhofe-confederate-removed-military-bases

President Trump signaled expectations that a provision to rename military bases named after Confederate leaders will not make the final version of the National Defense Authorization Act, despite the House and Senate overwhelmingly approving such defense legislation this week with veto-proof majorities.

Trump, who previously has threatened to veto legislation to rename such bases, tweeted Friday that he's found an ally in Sen. Jim Inhofe, who serves as chairman of the Armed Services Committee that manages the bill.

"I spoke to highly respected (Chairman) Senator Jim Inhofe, who has informed me that he WILL NOT be changing the names of our great Military Bases and Forts, places from which we won two World Wars (and more!)," Trump tweeted. "Like me, Jim is not a believer in 'Cancel Culture.'"

However, it's not solely up to Inhofe, R-Okla., on what the final version of the bill looks like.

The Senate overwhelmingly Thursday passed the National Defense Authorization Act by an 86-14 vote that included the Confederate renaming provisions. The House earlier this week passed its own version of the defense bill – also by a veto-proof margin of 295-125 -- that would likewise force the military to remove Confederate leaders from the names of bases, such as Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Fort Hood in Texas.

Both chambers of Congress must now hash out a unified version of the bill and pass it again, which most likely will not occur until the fall. To do so, the House and Senate will form a conference committee to work out the differences of their two bills. Inhofe is expected to be a member of that joint committee.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I don't understand all the Inhofe hate around here... I'll concede he's not perfect, but Senator Inhofe has been in Congress a long time and has built up a LOT of influence and power. And he's one of the most conservative members of Congress.

If you don't like his position on something, by all means call his office and let him know. But if he's voted out of office, he'll be replaced by a rookie senator that no one will listen to for a while.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His daughter and my daughter are good friends. Because of that I have had the opportunity to talk with him several times at length. I like him as a person, and I believe that he truly tries to always do the right thing, and according to him, the right thing isn’t always what he would personally like, but seems to be the best for ALL of Oklahoma and USA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom