Trust it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as revolvers go this is bad advice and heres why. I bought a model 15 snubby once. I guess considered a good one as far as a revolver goes. Anyway I take it to the range and load it up to test it. well after the first shot it was jammed up good. After I finally got it unjammed I found the problem...a primer had been pulled out by the firing pin. I called Smith and was told that a few had been recalled due to that problem. I sent it back and got the modification done to it. Got it back and fired a box through it. It did ok and promptly found a new home. So a revolver is far from perfect either.

Better you than me...Just kidding.
Nothing is 100% foolproof. In the back of my mind~ I am always sorta waiting for the other foot to fall. Was the last shot the "last good shot"? So far I have never had any of the failures usually noted when folks discuss the potential pratfalls of revolvers. Not to say I am not due.
Semi autos? Let's just say most of those clearance drills work and leave it at that.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a major problem with 2 different wheel guns in the last 40 yrs and both times it was the same problem... a problem that could have blinded someone... in fact it did injure someone's eye. If I hadn't seen it happen the 1st time for myself, I wouldn't have believed it possible.

The first was back in late 60's while using a H&R .22LR with 4" barrel. The cylinder push rod that rotates the cylinder with each pull of the trigger wore down just enough so that the cylinder didn't automatically lock-up in line with the forcing cone of the barrel with each shot. It probably wasn't off more than a couple of microns.

My father was shooting it at the time and my uncle was standing about 5 feet to his left and slightly behind my dad. We had had the gun for years and had been shooting it for some time that day. Just as my dad fired a round, my uncle let out a scream and grabbed his cheek... saying something had hit him. We didn't see any thing but a small red spot on his skin.. and thought maybe a hard shelled bug had hit him.

Then a few shots later he screamed out again and grabbed his eye. We checked and found a sliver of lead in the corner of his eye lid and it was bleeding. That is when we checked the gun and found ever-so-slight play in the cylinder and there was wear & powder burns on the side of the forcing cone on the left side of the gun. The cylinder was out of line just enough to shave a small portion of the bullet's lead and spit it out the side of the revolver with each shot.

Then in the mid-90's I had the same thing happen with a Nichol Colt Trooper Mark V.... the push rod unexpectedly wore down and the cylinder wouldn't line-up completely with the barrel... it started shaving lead or copper jacket off of the bullet as it passed from the cylinder into the barrel when fired.... throwing the shavings off to the side. It was more obvious with the .357 mag than it had been with the little .22 LR. The sound was obviously different from normal and the powder burn and wear on the forcing cone more obvious. With the gun empty, you could squeeze the trigger and after the cylinder rotated... you could touch it and it would move just a few microns and you'd hear the click of it locking into place.

I had my FFL license back then and called all over the United States looking for a new push rod. I couldn't find one at any price any where... New York City to Los Angeles to Miami to Dallas / Fort Worth and every where in between. This was during the time that Colt workers had gone on strike, so the company had closed down in a attempt to break the union. I also found out that Colt had stopped making parts for some guns like the Trooper line 5 yrs after after their production was was ended. So I traded it off and got myself a Glock 21.

Last edited:

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lap dog let out loud long bark at 2 am, woke me up alarmed, grabbed the champion racked the slide turned on flash light. cieared the house, went back to the bed room ,racked slide ejected the hollow point & chambered an other. had i needed it ,it wood have been there.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100-200 rds of cheapest ball ammo I can buy, then 2-3 magazines of SD ammo with no failures tells me all I need to know when testing a Glock. I used to be a total 1911 user,(Bless Col. Jeff Cooper, may he RIP), until a horrendous failure to fire involving a wrong diameter firing pin in my prized new Rock River Arms 4" 1911A1 $1600.00 pistol right at the end of Marshal Lutons AP-1 combat pistol class a few years ago. After firing something like 500-600 rds over a two day period with zero malfunctions. Bummed me out and soured me on that platform after at least two decades of "worshiping at the alter". I deciding to embrace newer, more reliable technology after that. Never would have believed it, ten years ago I privately sneered at anyone who used the ugly brick. So confident I knew the only way. But I did'nt appreciated what the AK platform was good for back then, either.Changed my beliefs on that too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom