Tulsa area gunsmith for 1911 work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been referred to 918 Guns many times for 1911 work by different shops. I hear they are VERY good when it comes to the 1911 but they are also very busy and are sometimes months out on work. They are at 31st & Sheridan if you want to check them out.
That's the same as Mac Cools isn't it

Wojownik

Marksman
Reaction score
I somewhat recently purchased my first two 1911’s. When I decided I was finally going to purchase my first one, I wanted a Colt….because Colt. The one I decided I wanted, the CCU (Colt Combat Unit), was nowhere to be found in stock anywhere. From what I read around online, they couldn’t be found for quite some time. I kept it on my mind, but somewhat gave up hopes and tried deciding on something else.

Didn’t want to go expensive but also didn’t want to go cheap as far as price so I ended up going with the Springfield Armory Operator. When I got it, not ever owning, handling, or shooting a 1911 before, it is actually pretty dang nice.

A few months later, I get an “in stock” notification that the Colt 1911 I wanted to begin with was in stock. At first I thought it wasn’t real because I had been looking all over for well over a year. I figured since it was from a company I’ve ordered from multiple times, I’d place the order and if it was a mistake then they’d just issue a refund. After making the purchase I looked around and ended seeing other sites that showed it to be in stock, albeit just a couple or so at each site. Apparently they made another run of them, but possibly a small run? Either way I was excited to get the one I originally wanted to begin with.

It finally comes and I’m all excited. I pick it up, bring it home, get to fondling it, and then the disappointment. I get that it is a “Combat Unit” meant for government type use, but quality overall is not that great.

I take both the Springfield Armory and the Colt to the range and put about three hundred rounds through each. I was again somewhat disappointed in how the Colt compared to the Springfield Armory. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to have the Colt, but it definitely needs a little work done.

I wanted to post all this here because I purchased several Wilson Combat parts for the Colt and will need to find a competent and trustworthy gunsmith to work on it for me. Wilson Combat parts seem to be the go-to for the 1911 which is why I went with them.

Attachments

• IMG_7195.jpeg
    IMG_7195.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7194.jpeg
    IMG_7194.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7197.jpeg
    IMG_7197.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7196.jpeg
    IMG_7196.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Wojownik

Marksman
Reaction score
I can't agree with that not after what he did to my AR barrel and FSB , that's the last guy I'd take even a Red Ryder to.
When I read your post about that, it definitely had me hesitant of using them for anything. Also heard a lot of bad stories about Sports World too. No personal experience with using either of them for gunsmith services, but I’ve heard more bad than good which naturally makes one a little leery.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I read your post about that, it definitely had me hesitant of using them for anything. Also heard a lot of bad stories about Sports World too. No personal experience with using either of them for gunsmith services, but I’ve heard more bad than good which naturally makes one a little leery.
I had enough warning about Sports World to not go there , I didn't get any such warning about 2A and Garth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom