Tulsa has disproportionately more Italian markets/delis than OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hankerin for a place that bakes their own bread in house each day and uses the higher tier deli meats and cheeses.

The best one I've been to out west was attached to an Italian restaurant so you were getting the same level of ingredients as the people next door paying $30/plate but the deli part was super casual and you could walk in and order a nice sandwich for $8.
I remember an Italian deli in San Diego that was like that. They made real deal minestrone soup too. It was never the same, always made with leftovers like it should.

Well now I’m on the hunt. I need cured meats, olives, and peppers in my life.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
More Eyetalins in Tulsa than OKC would be my bet. Or at least more people that like that food.
True. We are pretty lucky to have a solid Asian community though.

Speaking of, if you guys haven’t had Lee’s sandwiches yet, or Quoc Bao Bakery’s sandwiches off 2501 N classes, I highly suggest you give both a shot.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On Murray Hill by any chance?

Funny you should mention Murray Hill! My dad lived there for a while, but not me. We were in the steel mill region, many Italians worked there back when. Slovaks, too - it was interesting to see what dishes were being served out of church basements every Saturday. The church a couple streets over from us had the BEST pirohy!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this is a problem if you live in OKC and you want a proper italian style deli sandwich.

(and I'm not just talking about sit down italian restaurants that also sell sandwiches)

Tulsa has:
https://nanarosesbakery.com/https://www.tulsapasta.com/
OKC has:
???

Tulsa has significantly more yankee transplants too. It's not a thing to be proud of. Eat some BBQ and raw steak like a true Okie and shut up. 🤣

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you should mention Murray Hill! My dad lived there for a while, but not me. We were in the steel mill region, many Italians worked there back when. Slovaks, too - it was interesting to see what dishes were being served out of church basements every Saturday. The church a couple streets over from us had the BEST pirohy!
I grew up back there too. We had many fine meals in the restaurants located on Murray Hill. The fact that some members of La Cosa Nostra also dined there just added to the authenticity of the food and allure of the establishments.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even though I live in the Tulsa metro, I’ve never darkened the door of the places mentioned so far in the thread. Just color me “Heathen”, I guess since I have no plans to change my choices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom