tumble lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Casters, if you tumble lube what is your formula & procedure. Do you use tumble lube molds or standard.
How does it hold up to not leading the barrel & velocity you get

Just getting into casting & do not have a sizer/luber yet, using lee push through & a couple of standard molds I was given
Thanks

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the Lee stuff.
Proven dependable.

I usually thin it out a bit with mineral spirits.
Haven't had any problem from that.
It still coats fine, but not a messy when reloading.

I pretty much follow Lee's directions.
Tumble them around in a container with the lube.
Stretch out some wax paper and set them up to dry.
Then size them thru the Lee sizer.
Relube, let dry and reload.
I've never had any problem with barrel leading.

Most of the better lubes on the market are some version of Lee's Alox with some secret ingredient added.

Like most reloading you can spend what you want and then justify it.
But Lee's simplicity has worked fine for me for around 30-35 years.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just figured out what you were asking about molds.
I've used both without any real problem.
You need to remember the tumble lube molds are a fairly recent invention.
The real thing to think about is the sufrace that contacts the barrel.
Lube down in the bottom of a groove only helps a little.
Lube on the bearing surfaces helps slow leading.
A good lead mix for the right application will help considerably.
When you start cranking out high velocity you need to start looking at gas checks and hardness.
For all my plinkers the old WW mix works fine.

walkeraw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much what OF said!

I've only been casting/reloading for a year or so....tumble lube molds and lube concoction (Alox, mineral spirits, Johnson's paste wax).

Lee tumble lube molds are economical and pretty much reliable. There are many lube recipes (both tumble and "standard") out there. That said, I've found the Cast Boolits website to be an extremely valuable resource. Check it out, you'll find LOTS of info there.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats the reply I wanted, I do have some gas checks for a 30 carbine & 357 & I don't think I will push them to their limit may be 1700 for the carbine & 1500 or so for the 357 out of the rifles. As for the lead I had a some given to me the ingits are from a cup cake tray & he has no idea of hardness, he said alot was range pick up??(mining maybe) & some wheel weights. They will just be plinking material anyway.

Looked over at cast boolits lots of info & different ideas, saw the JPW & alox thread.

Have you had any powder contamination with the alox sitting over an extended length of time, most of mine is in ammo cans in the garage but if it gums up the powder I may have to keep it in the house. I plan on making a good stock pile of a couple of thousand rounds for each caliber I shoot, or what ever a 50 cal ammo can can hold loose

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember that a lot of those range rounds if jacketed are pretty soft lead.
If you do as you say and just make plinker rounds you should be fine mixing them with WW's.

As for contamination I've never noticed it being a problem.
I'm thinking Lee has already addressed this issue.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like was said above, I have had good luck with the Liquid Alox from Lee and the tumble lube molds in 9mm and .45acp, very little if any leading, on those I was able to cast, lube and load without sizing as they came out real close to the size I wanted, The .38 tl mold I bought was oversize though and had to be sized because I couldn't get them to chamber without sizing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom