Turkey 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So I've been traveling all across the state on Fridays and most Saturdays for my son's/daughter's track meets. First meet was at the end of March. I've yet to see a turkey from the road, anywhere. Not a lone hen, a tom on the wander, a group of jakes, nothing. Nothing on my own places either but a single hen. Have not seen any roosted birds, haven't even heard a gobble this year. First time since I started turkey hunting as a kid in the late 70's.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis it might be that their eggs are being eaten in the nest by an over abundance of coons, possums etc in the area or that they are being shot illegally at night on the roost........either way not good for the turkey population.
I think the hogs are destroying a lot of nests too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis it might be that their eggs are being eaten in the nest by an over abundance of coons, possums etc in the area or that they are being shot illegally at night on the roost........either way not good for the turkey population.
It’s definitely nest predators. I see where the hens are nesting. Not long after laying, we will find broken egg shells in the area.
I’ve trapped our area unmercifully for years, but in past years it could only be done during trapping season or if they were attacking livestock/pets.
Now we can trap coons year around and get them thinned out before they breed and produce a new crop.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out Monday afternoon after the storms and the birds were drying out. I bumped a couple walking in, so I set up on the edge of the field and about 2 hours later a hen came out of the woods and fed in front of me. I heard a distant gobble and saw him strutting around 300 yards, took him about 30 minutes to come in. Got him right before the storms started again.
20220502_182711.jpg

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out Monday afternoon after the storms and the birds were drying out. I bumped a couple walking in, so I set up on the edge of the field and about 2 hours later a hen came out of the woods and fed in front of me. I heard a distant gobble and saw him strutting around 300 yards, took him about 30 minutes to come in. Got him right before the storms started again. View attachment 270390
How long of a beard? It sure looks like a nice thick one. Congratulations!

Latest posts

Top Bottom