turkey guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkey hunting is one of my favorite things. I've used a Mossberg 835 for years without issue. It's light, which makes it ideal for packing around while hunting. However, that lightness also means those 3.5" magnum turkey loads kick like a mule. I've been thinking about getting a semi-auto, just to make practice for turkey hunting more enjoyable, but I don't want to pack around the extra weight. I friend of mine uses a Benelli SuperNova, and it seems to provide a nice compromise between weight and recoil. What is your preferred turkey gun?

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Fabarm O/U turkey gun, and I love it.
UF103040472_L1.jpg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester 1300 Turkey 22" barrel with an old unported Lohman choke tube. Tried every Rem, Win, Fed 1 7/8 and 2 oz. load available in 4/5/6 shot back in the 80's. Not one single load shot any better than another by very much. They all shot decent but nothing stood out. Then one day I tried Win 1 3/4 oz. 4 shot. If you ever find a great load for your turkey gun, the lightweight and recoil take a back seat. Target is from a measured 40 yds.
Win Load .jpg

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like you, shot a 835 for years, still have it. Moved up to a Stoeger 3500 all camo with a 24" barrel couple years ago and now the 835 never sees the light of day. I use it for doves up to turkeys and geese. It uses the inertia drive system like the Benelli but is about half the price. It's worked perfect for me

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Browning Citori OU with a full choke. Never needed anything bigger than a 2 3/4" turkey load. Kicks like a mule, but you only need one shot.
The sport for me is calling in the bird. Killing it is secondary.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 870 with a 30" Hastings Wadlock barrel with a .640 extended turkey tube. Shooting a 2 3/4" magnum load with 1 7/8 oz. of copper plated 7 1/2 shot, will always keep 300+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds.. Over 75 turkeys later, this combo has never let me down...

Latest posts

Top Bottom