turkey guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you think that Mossberg kicks you should shot my favorite turkey gun H&R 12 ga. turkey gun with tight turkey choke and 1.5x4 30mm scope. Shooting 3 1/2" #5. Pros inexpensive, very light, and a turkey killing machine Cons Kicks like a Belgian horse on steroids

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think that Mossberg kicks you should shot my favorite turkey gun H&R 12 ga. turkey gun with tight turkey choke and 1.5x4 30mm scope. Shooting 3 1/2" #5. Pros inexpensive, very light, and a turkey killing machine Cons Kicks like a Belgian horse on steroids
I've shot one, but without a scope. Yes, when the primer goes off, you know something happened!

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How bout just going back to the 3 inch shell? I shot a few with the 3.5 before I decided I wasnt that dang mad at them anymore. I;ve had the supernova, its a good gun. Those 3.5 turkey loads are going to hurt regardless of what you shoot them out of.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How bout just going back to the 3 inch shell? I shot a few with the 3.5 before I decided I wasnt that dang mad at them anymore. I;ve had the supernova, its a good gun. Those 3.5 turkey loads are going to hurt regardless of what you shoot them out of.
I feel more confident/ethical taking 40+ yard shots with the 3.5" because it means more pellets in the kill zone. If I limited shots to roughly 35 yards, the 3" would be fine; but I like the flexibility the 3.5" provides.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use an 870 with a 21" barrel and a turkey choke. I shoot Winchester 1 3/4 ozs #4's 3" mags. I set my decoy at 25 yds and I know what these loads will do at 40 yds. Works for me.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot 3.5 turkey loads through a SBEII and it kicked like a mule. The inertia system isnt the best for recoil reduction.
Try it in a lighter gun that isn't semi-auto...lmao! I read that a .458 Win Mag (elephant cartridge) generates about 65 ft/lbs. of recoil, whereas a 3.5" turkey magnum generates about 75 ft/lbs. Definitely not a newb's load!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man those max dram 2oz 3.5" turkey loads in 12 gauge will hammer your bones.
Only gun we have that will chamber a 3.5" is an old 28" full choke break barrel single shot.. is states 3" magnum on it.
Never shot anything that kicked sooooo hard.
Attempt that foolishness at your own risk.

I like turkey fall hunting.. just snipe them in some counties with a rifle.
My friend began reloading shotgun and for the purpose of super tight groups at long distances. He stated the taper in the chamber makes a big difference.

I made a muzzleloader shotgun from a cheap inline muzzleloader..Drilled the rifling out.. shortened the barrel .
90gr of powder then some toilet paper and then some shot covered by more toilet paper.. all packed tight.

With the no chamber all straight barrel the group of pellets was less than 1/2 of a 12 gauge at longer distances.
Really impressed with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom