Turkey Season 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice birds Davs! I know where there are 2 old dugouts around Stillwater and 1 has an old hand dug well still there covered by a big rock. I don't have permission to be on either place anymore though. One of them had a great timber rattler den too. I miss catching them every spring and fall. I always got 6-10 a year there and even though I can hunt the 80 acres next to that place, have not seen one since I lost that place.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the wife opening day and she got her first bird. We mainly watched the neighbor drive around all morning hunting from his jeep with his grandson. Pretty sad to see someone teaching a youngster like that. Ended up getting this one at 9:55 am.,25 yards with my new Stoeger 3500. Had a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I was more excited than she was.
[Broken External Image]

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good looking tom davs2601!

Love the photo of the old homestead. Wonder if anybody has worked around it with a metal detector?

dennis my dad is 79 i was telling him i would like to get a metal detector and check some old homestead places for old coins,he said doubt you would find any,i said why is that he said a even a nickle when he was a kid was alot of money he said if somebody lost a quarter the whole family would search every inch of the place for days to find it lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the wife opening day and she got her first bird. We mainly watched the neighbor drive around all morning hunting from his jeep with his grandson. Pretty sad to see someone teaching a youngster like that. Ended up getting this one at 9:55 am.,25 yards with my new Stoeger 3500. Had a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I was more excited than she was.
[Broken External Image]

dennis my dad is 79 i was telling him i would like to get a metal detector and check some old homestead places for old coins,he said doubt you would find any,i said why is that he said a even a nickle when he was a kid was alot of money he said if somebody lost a quarter the whole family would search every inch of the place for days to find it lol

Yeah, you never know though. My buddy and I were pheasant hunting on Great Grandpa's place a few years ago, and found a silver dollar laying on top of the ground. It was really corroded, but it was so perfectly round, it caught my buddy's eye. We cleaned it up, and I let him keep it since he found it.

He lived as a widower for many years, and never trusted banks, finally becoming senile. So if he dropped any money, he probably wouldn't have known it.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wednesday in the East: Started the hunt about 9:30am to let the cloud cover break up and Sun to pop out. Setup in a spot for about an hour without ever hearing anything. Decided to walk n talk to try to find a bird. I hit ridges and logging roads on the North end of the ranch with no luck. I was starting to work the South side when this longbeard ran across the road about 150 yards ahead of me. He headed up a bald knob which leads to a timbered ravine. I headed his way and ended up bumping him ( as I thought hed done went over the knob when he hadnt), this time he looked boogered good. This time in frustration I took out the secret weapon and headed across the knob. When I reached the crest I spotted him about 75 yards away, and 20 yards inside the timber (i was in the wide open) I soft yepled to him with my mouth and he turned and seen me and strutted and spit-n-drummed right to me. 22# 10" beard and 3/4" spurs.

Thursday in the East/Central: Went with a buddy of mine near Okmulgee, he carried his bow, I had my recurve with guilletines and shotgun. Got there late and spotted a ton of birds already past the blind. We then had to circle the long way around to get to the blind. By this time we had heard a shot nearby and no more gobbling. We set in the blind for a couple hours and had a jake come in gobbling his head off but never within range. Bout 10:30 we had to leave to go to work and just as we both got all our gear out of the blind I spotted 4 birds headed our way. We scrambled back into the blind and worked them in to us. They never would come inside of 25 yards, I needed one about 10-15 yards to make a head shot with the recurve. Finally they had worked away slowly and we decided to take em. I let my buddy shoot first with his bow then I was gonna shoot one with the shotgun. He barely missed the first shot (right over the back), but the second arrow hit the mark. I then put my bird down with the shotgun. As distances are decieving inside a blind (and without a rangefinder) I figured it was about a 35 yard shot. Both birds were 48 yards when shot. It was a fun double on some jakesters!

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 146
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 99
  • jakes.jpg
    jakes.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 139

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wednesday in the East: Started the hunt about 9:30am to let the cloud cover break up and Sun to pop out. Setup in a spot for about an hour without ever hearing anything. Decided to walk n talk to try to find a bird. I hit ridges and logging roads on the North end of the ranch with no luck. I was starting to work the South side when this longbeard ran across the road about 150 yards ahead of me. He headed up a bald knob which leads to a timbered ravine. I headed his way and ended up bumping him ( as I thought hed done went over the knob when he hadnt), this time he looked boogered good. This time in frustration I took out the secret weapon and headed across the knob. When I reached the crest I spotted him about 75 yards away, and 20 yards inside the timber (i was in the wide open) I soft yepled to him with my mouth and he turned and seen me and strutted and spit-n-drummed right to me. 22# 10" beard and 3/4" spurs.

Thursday in the East/Central: Went with a buddy of mine near Okmulgee, he carried his bow, I had my recurve with guilletines and shotgun. Got there late and spotted a ton of birds already past the blind. We then had to circle the long way around to get to the blind. By this time we had heard a shot nearby and no more gobbling. We set in the blind for a couple hours and had a jake come in gobbling his head off but never within range. Bout 10:30 we had to leave to go to work and just as we both got all our gear out of the blind I spotted 4 birds headed our way. We scrambled back into the blind and worked them in to us. They never would come inside of 25 yards, I needed one about 10-15 yards to make a head shot with the recurve. Finally they had worked away slowly and we decided to take em. I let my buddy shoot first with his bow then I was gonna shoot one with the shotgun. He barely missed the first shot (right over the back), but the second arrow hit the mark. I then put my bird down with the shotgun. As distances are decieving inside a blind (and without a rangefinder) I figured it was about a 35 yard shot. Both birds were 48 yards when shot. It was a fun double on some jakesters!

Man, that sounds like a fun two days!

Latest posts

Top Bottom