Uh-Oh Tulsa Police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure does. I'm sure like any department or the military, TPD probably has a merit based promotion system. Time in previous grade plus a bit of college plus a test and no infractions and BOOM!... you're a CPL or SGT or LT. Or, are you referring to across the board cost of living increases?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the lack of people(who are more familiar with this department) from "green country"(northeastern oklahoma) coming to TPD's defense speaks volumes.

I'm happy to speak up. Yes, it's very true that the TPD has had its share of problems. No one can dispute that fact. However, this particular situation is more akin to a bad domestic dispute. The shooter could have been a mechanic, a doctor, a chef, a lawyer....any profession. It's not as if these parents used their status as police officers to commit this crime. It's quite different than the corruption scandal in which drug dealers were robbed, or the officer who was ripping off Hispanic drivers. These are people who went bad that happened to be police officers, not police officers who went bad. There is a difference. If you just hate cops, I don't expect you will see it.

And yes...I believe officers should be held to a high standard of conduct in their personal lives, as well as their professional lives. However, they are human beings. Some of you forget that fact. At this point, we don't know the whole story. We do not know what exactly happened and we do not the dynamic of the relationships. Whatever the case, it is a complete tragedy for all involved.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
It's not as if these parents used their status as police officers to commit this crime.

Be interesting to see if his service weapon was used. Would using the firearm paid for by the citizen's of Tulsa qualify as using their status as officers to commit this crime?

BTW, I have a brother who is an officer with a department in another state. I grew up with one of the finest officers(imho) ever to serve on on the TPD force as a neighbor. I don't hate cops at all, but the few bad apples or don't judge the group by the actions of the individuals wears microscopically thin when all the examples of the multitudes of bad actors in this department are added up.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be interesting to see if his service weapon was used. Would using the firearm paid for by the citizen's of Tulsa qualify as using their status as officers to commit this crime?.

Not really. If a service weapon was used, that still doesn't mean they were using their official status as officers in this matter. Guns are easy to get.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be interesting to see if his service weapon was used. Would using the firearm paid for by the citizen's of Tulsa qualify as using their status as officers to commit this crime?

BTW, I have a brother who is an officer with a department in another state. I grew up with one of the finest officers(imho) ever to serve on on the TPD force as a neighbor. I don't hate cops at all, but the few bad apples or don't judge the group by the actions of the individuals wears microscopically thin when all the examples of the multitudes of bad actors in this department are added up.

Sorry, I didn't address your second paragraph. There is no doubt that TPD needs to do some serious internal reflection and oust as many bad actors as they can uncover, but I still stand by my belief that the majority of TPD officers are good, decent men and women doing a tough job for not enough pay, and damned little appreciation.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
doing a tough job for not enough pay, and damned little appreciation.

TPS classroom teachers, yes. TPD officers, no:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/average-tulsa-police-officer-salary-is-analysis-shows/article_79aa73bb-0534-5fbd-8eca-4fddf4abc121.html

Tulsa rank-and-file police officers earned an average of $72,203 in calendar year 2013, a Tulsa World analysis of police compensation records shows.
The average pay figure includes base pay, overtime pay, education pay, longevity pay and second-language pay. Not every officer received all five forms of compensation.
The median pay for Tulsa officers - the number at which half of officers earn more and half of the department earns less - was $72,092.
Overtime pay in 2013 totaled $5.2 million, or $7,281 for each of the 713 sworn officers who received it. The department had 771 sworn officers in 2013.
Many senior officers earned much more - all 11 officers whose overtime pay topped $30,000 have been members of the force for at least 19 years.
Shannon Steele, a patrol officer with 22 years' experience, earned a base salary of $65,313 and $55,702 more in overtime.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/40/40143.html

Median household income, 2008-2012 $47,845

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom