Unlimited Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should children (under 18) be allowed to open carry?

• Total voters

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is not for open carry, and just for public hunting land, then I'm fine with it, but if I had a house within a mile of that public land, I would still be leery....probably most kids who make it there would be trained to some degree by hunters in their family. I just would not want under aged wannabe gang bangers running around open carrying at the movie theater. That was my main concern if that makes me a RINO LOL.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be a fudd, I said no. However I voted did that before I read the string. Unfortunately I have been "cityfied." I was thinking in terms of the 'burbs! The longer I think about it responsible children under 18 should be allowed to carry, assuming there are threats such as animals. Children under 18 should be allowed to operate firearms at all times under adult supervision. The problem with the cities are the criminal element, and crime begins very young. It is no longer an easy question. Heck, I've seen 35 y/o adult children I wouldn't trust with a corkscrew let a lone a firearm (not because they are criminals, they are just stupid). However it is a right and should be treated as such. Currently we do have a major debate going on, are children truly adult enough to make a decision about sex change surgery? I think no. Extending this line of thought to firearms I think no as well. Kids do stupid things, let's not enable them further.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a BB gun at 5, and maternal grandfather turned me loose with 410 single shot when I was about 7. However, I had been taught how to use it and to be safe. I don’t think most kids are being taught gun safety like most of us were, and I’ll take it a step further and say I know a bunch of grown @ss men that have no business toting a gun.

I’ve told the story before about my brother in law who’s a cop that shot himself trying to reholster his concealed carry pistol. He didn’t grow up around guns and has never hunted, and in my opinion, the police academy did a piss poor job on weapons training in his case. He wants to shoot everytime he comes to my place, but he still hasn’t figured out why I don’t shoot with him and always stay behind him. His gun handling scares the sh*t out of me.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a BB gun at 5, and maternal grandfather turned me loose with 410 single shot when I was about 7. However, I had been taught how to use it and to be safe. I don’t think most kids are being taught gun safety like most of us were, and I’ll take it a step further and say I know a bunch of grown @ss men that have no business toting a gun.

I’ve told the story before about my brother in law who’s a cop that shot himself trying to reholster his concealed carry pistol. He didn’t grow up around guns and has never hunted, and in my opinion, the police academy did a piss poor job on weapons training in his case. He wants to shoot everytime he comes to my place, but he still hasn’t figured out why I don’t shoot with him and always stay behind him. His gun handling scares the sh*t out of me.

I agree with what you are saying.
I have no problem giving my 10yo grandson a Single Six and a shotgun, watching him head across the pasture, headed to the pond.

On the other hand, there are 40 yo out there, that I treat as Barney Fife, they get 1 cartridge and I watch them closely.

In town, in a store, I watch for and notice those open carry. I typically move away from or watch until they are gone.l

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The article is poorly written and doesn't clearly state what the limits are on minors openly carrying. In one sentence it says "on public land" and in another it says simply "in public".

"On public land" would exclude private property like stores and such. "In public" wouldn't.

So it's hard to say what the bill really states and I'm not familiar with MO law as it is now.

I have no problem letting minors do whatever their parents think is appropriate on private land. I frequently was turned loose with an old .30-30 when I was quite young on my dad's place in the woods of east Texas.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was16 went hunting rabbits with class mate . I was on one side of a pond he in other side .He started shooting hitting water the bullets were zinging over my head. I yelled & he quite shooting. Class mate was a town boy . Sixteen & he did not know not to shoot in the water. He later had a discharge that killed another class mate. i had a 38 special & a double barrel 12 GA. when I was 16 . I was raised in the country.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to get shot in the back accidently at wal-mart by some kid that wasn't trained in gun safety by someone like myself. If there was some course like the hunters course and they were an "apprentice" under some adult that was known competent, maybe I'd feel different. ALSO, on private property, like Turkeyrun said, then it should be under the land owner's supervison. I am more thinking of young punks at 7-11 or something.
Being a minor or an adult doesn’t change untrained.

Think I’m against kids carrying in public. Not really something I’ve thought about before. Too many freaking gang members.

Hunting (legal) or private property, carry away assuming you actually have permission of the land owner or biz owner..

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot say I agree that all minors should be allowed to open carry at Walmart or other public places. Their brains are not mature so their ability to reason in stressful situations is not always consistent. That said, with proper training and discipline, minors can be just as safe in handling firearms as most adults.

This is my daughter when she was 14. Hunting alone and without my direct supervision. She was passing my trail cam and couldn’t resist a photo op, but I’d like to note her trigger finger. If I didn’t think she would be safe, I wouldn’t have let her hunt alone. This pic just reaffirmed my assessment of her.

CB249BEC-6D9E-4FCA-87D8-5861EC20CABC.jpeg
46C1B2C9-526B-430E-AC42-4F0FDE288AFD.jpeg

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"...banning OPEN carry on PUBLIC LAND."

Under 18 cannot HUNT on Public land without adult supervision.

Doesn't say, walk around Walmart, 7-11 or mall.

My sons hunted alone at 10 yo, as did I.
Shotguns, .22 rifle and 7x57

Definitely some RINO and closet Dumbasscraps here. (I can, but you can't.)

>>>Point taken about 'PUBLIC LAND', however 'Public Land' can also mean a suburban sidewalk or a city park - anyplace that is open to the public that is not privately owned.<<<

Last edited:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom