Utah Permit Changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Utah Governor signed this new law yesterday. Remember you have to have a class from a Utah Certified Instructor. You can find info on how to apply at:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf or http://publicsafety.utah.gov/b...ncealedfirearms.html
You can also find a listing of Utah Certified Instructors at both sites. Their new requirements for Non Resident Permit/License are below.

53-5-704.

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the
Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and

(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed
firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).

(b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau
under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10
years.

(c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are
received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.

(d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a
concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly that in order to get the Utah non-residence license, you now (5/11) will have to have your Oklahoma residence license? If so, sorta puts the kibosh on the Utah thing, doesn't it?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
under this section,

(d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a
concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

I figured this question would come up, so I checked to see if it means what it says; it does.

Beginning January 1, 2012, you need to attach a copy of your OK CHL to the UT (renewal and initial) application in order to have your UT CHL renewed. Any UT CHL, once issued, is valid until the expiration date on the card. There are no other changes.

This change is in response to NV and NM dropping recognition of the UT CHL. It's about money for NV and NM wanting to make sure their residents buy NM and NV licenses. Whether this change will make NV and NM happy remains to be seen. UT sells about 70,000 CHLs a year, over half to non-residents.

Added: People in places like IL, which has no CHL, and in NJ, which does not recognize UT, will still be able to buy UT CHLs without a home-state CHL if they meet all other requirements.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you'd have until May 10 of this year to get the initial UT CCW application to them and the license would be good for 5 years.
Renewals, without an OK CCW, will have to be done this year except you can't renew until 90 days before it expires.

Latest posts

Top Bottom