Vehicle eats new batteries within a month or so?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate that info...back a few years ago when I was still trying to fix this issue, I discovered what I thought was a parasitic draw but I bet it was the ECU or something staying energized for a while. I was perplexed because I remember things not adding up. The batteries have been 3yr free replacement so I've just been having to install a new battery about once a year at no cost, but now the issue seems to have gotten worse.
As a rule back when ECM's started getting more advanced on the amount of electrical they controlled. We would turn ignition off wait 15 minutes to make sure everything it controlled powered down then unhook battery cable and wait another 15 minutes (some 30 minutes) before testing. Saved us from chasing our tails.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not familiar with the liberty, but does it have a powered liftgate? If it does check to make sure it latches every time and that the interior lights go off afterwards. My other half's ML350 will sometimes not latch like it should and it drains battery from lights. Good luck and I hate e-grimlins!!!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our 4Runner has an air pump that engages occasionally to test the emissions. I’ll walk out to the garage and that thing was running. I researched it to find out what the noise was hours after it was parked and had been sitting. We haven’t had an issue with the battery draining but my wife drives it every day.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how to do that other than take the alternator off an to parts house for testing?

I did test the alternator output on the vehicle and it is charging within spec. I was thinking about just replacing it but didn't want to throw money at it and have the same issue. I guess if that is next unless I can replace just a diode which I doubt.
Disconnect POs. Terminal and connect a test light in line. If light is on, you have a draw. Disconnect POs. Wire on alternator. If light goes out, you have a bad diode. Replace alt. If light does not go out. Pull one fuse at a time. When light goes out, that is the circuit with a short.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnect POs. Terminal and connect a test light in line. If light is on, you have a draw. Disconnect POs. Wire on alternator. If light goes out, you have a bad diode. Replace alt. If light does not go out. Pull one fuse at a time. When light goes out, that is the circuit with a short.
Thanks for the info, what are PO's? Battery cables?

Russ661

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 Grand Cherokee that we bought new. It is equipped with a function that kills the engine when you come to a stop and you can turn the function off with a button on the dash. I really dislike having the engine stop like that so I always turned it off. Well, the first battery lasted a year, the second also lasted a year. The battery that starts the engine when the function is turned on is a lithium unit and it also had to be replaced. The 3rd cranking battery only lived about 10 months and the dealer refused to warranty it. Before the batteries would die the car would start shifting badly (electronically controlled tranny). I had to pay for the last battery out of pocket. I decided that would be the last time. Just for sh**s and giggles I decided I would allow the stop/start function to remain on, the default position. Well, we are well into the second year on this set of batteries with no indication of imminent failure! I cannot explain why it is but it appears that leaving that switch turned on did the trick. It took me some time to get used to the engine turning off every time I come to a stop but now I don’t even notice. If your Liberty is equipped with this feature and you disable it as part of your pre-drive routine, try leaving it in the default ON position. It worked for us, it might just work for you!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@Russ661, we have a new 22 Honda pilot. We don’t like the golf cart mode thing either. We turn it off every time we get in the car. I sure hope it doesn’t lead to battery issues.

@sh00ter, I guy I work with daughter Honda accord was doing the battery drain. It turned out to be the electric lock servo in the door. Once the drain was found he fixed it himself. Might be something a tech needs to track down. I suck at that kind of stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom