Vehicle Holster legality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
vehicle_mount3(1).jpg

Ok...i've searched the threads and read several about the subject, but answers vary. The only question i still have after all that is:

The way the law is written TODAY.....IS this a legal means of carrying a loaded firearm in your vehicle if you DO have a permit.

Seems like we need a clear, definite answer to the question.

Thanks Ya'll.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under the steering column isn't "concealed". In the console is. I know we have open carry of couorse, but in this type of setup, the firearm is not on your person...there's a little room for "interpretation" there and i don't want to deal with unsurities, so i was wondering if anyone knew the actual legality of it.

Thanks!!

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked into this and have wanted one since I saw th email floating around.
Let us know if you find something out.
To me, open carry concealed carry permit holders need not apply.?

bpsooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During the concealed weapons class we discussed this topic. It was stated that your gun had to be on your physical person or concealed, like in console or in seat under a newspaper,ect. You cannot have the gun in sight unless attached to your body. Our instructor mentioned that the wording may be changed in the future to allow a gun to be open in the vehicle

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked this question to our ok open carry guys and he told me loaded, one in the chamber, in plain view was ok in the vehicle. Section 1289.7 page 26 talks about it and third paragraph exempts with sda.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would prefer something accessible, yet out of sight. I don't like tinted windows and I don't want someone peeking through the window, seeing it and busting my window out to get to it.

I haven't come up with a good solution yet. My truck has no center console and I'm left handed. Right now I have a lock box bolted to the floor. It blends in really well with the black rubber mat. The trouble with this is no easy fast access. Great for storing if I have to go inside a "posted" business for some reason.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked this question to our ok open carry guys and he told me loaded, one in the chamber, in plain view was ok in the vehicle. Section 1289.7 page 26 talks about it and third paragraph exempts with sda.

Here is the section you reference:
Title 21 Section 1289.7 said:
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or [/b]has the handgun in such vehicle[/b], shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

IMO carrying a loaded firearm under the console does not meet the definition of unconcealed. But loaded and open and not on you doesn't meet the legal definition. I believe the boded portion (that I added) above deals with the carrying of concealed firearms not open. I believe the spirit of the law was to make OC like CC, but that's not how it was written. Depending on how low your steering wheel is, this solution might meet the definition of concealed if it is not easily detectable.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer something accessible, yet out of sight. I don't like tinted windows and I don't want someone peeking through the window, seeing it and busting my window out to get to it.

I haven't come up with a good solution yet. My truck has no center console and I'm left handed. Right now I have a lock box bolted to the floor. It blends in really well with the black rubber mat. The trouble with this is no easy fast access. Great for storing if I have to go inside a "posted" business for some reason.

~~~~~

Yeah, i would never use this as a "means of storage" when i wasn't in the vehicle.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, i'm going to go with NOT LEGAL right now then. I've read through and highlighted all the statutes in my SDA "rule book" , and the language is really fuzzy, so until the language is cleared up i'm going to stay away from this...as nice and cool as it is. I'd really like to be able to use this means of carrying when i'm traveling or will be in the car/truck for some time, but it's not worth being "made and example" of or it being left up to someone else's "interpretation"or the laws if i can't CLEARLY point it out in the statutes right then and it be VERY CLEAR.

All it would take to cost me much money would be for someone to interpret it as other than a legal means even if the law didn't MEAN for it to be illegal. I don't want to have to fight that war.

Guess i'll go to work modifying our vehicles to make some neat legal hidey holes that offer quick access.

Thanks Ya'll....appreciate the replies!

Latest posts

Top Bottom