VERY interesting trip to Banner Road range today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My in-laws are in town and my Father in Law and I headed out to the range this morning. We got there at 10AM and there was on guy already on the 100 yard range. He had a very nice looking rifle and I asked him about it. He was not all friendly and seemed irritated that I was talking to him.

My F-I-L and I went down range at 100yds to put up targets. My father in Law was CC and I was open carry. Our rifles were laid out, actions open on the benches as they are supposed to be. As we were walking back to the bench, the one guy with the rifle that was already there intercepted me and asked if I was in Law Enforcement.

Usually, I would reply by asking if THEY were LE, since they would otherwise have no business know if I were LE or not. Based on how unfriendly he was when we got there, I went ahead and just answered his question and let him know that I was not LE.

They guy TOTALLY WENT OFF on me. He basically read me the riot act and told me it was against range rules to have a gun down range. He then went on this tirade about how dangerous the range was due to people coming out "half cocked" and "irresponsible". I can assure anyone reading this the neither I, or my father-in-law would ever fall into either one of those categories when it comes to firearms. He claimed to be all about the right to carry, but I got the impression that he was very offened by the fact that I was open carrying.

Anyway, I was just there to shoot and have fun and did not want the confrontation to escalate. I told him I would go ask Harry..the range officer/guy who runs the place....to clairify that it was ok to CC or OC at all times at the range. Of course when I asked Harry, he said it was fine and chuckled when he answered.

I went back to the range....still carrying...and the guy TOTALLY WENT OFF on both my F-I-L and I again. He said he was sick of having shots fired while he was down range putting up targets.

I wanted to ask him how HE was going to have shots fired at HIM downrange, when I was the one DOWNRANGE putting up targets. He called us stupid, among other names, and started packing up all of his stuff. He kept saying that he could not believe that we allowed downrange with our carry guns.

What is funny, when he went downrange to grab his targets, he took his rifle with him. LOL!

We went to talk to Harry after he leaf and it was pretty obvious that Harry was glad the guy left too!

After he left, we had a great time throwing some lead downrange. It was the perfect day for shooting.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are the freaks that the liberals use as their reason why guns are evil. A guy like that concerns me because one minute he is yelling and calling you names and the next he's shooting at you.....

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just proof that being a "gun guy" doesn't mean one is also a decent and reasonable individual...there are a lot of a$$holes out there with guns.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me why I don't either. Wait, that isn't why I don't go to public ranges. I don't because I don't have to. I can shoot on my Mom's farm.

That range was the last public range I went to. I have been there twice and only went because I went with a friend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom