Visitor comes to door while I'm carrying my AR at home ... question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend was coming by and we were about to go shooting. I had my AR slung on my shoulder and as I was about to pack it up, the doorbell rang.

I assumed it was my friend, but just in case, I first hid the AR. It turned out it was a salesman.

When I told my friend, he teased me, though I'm confident I did what was best in terms of social decorum.

But let's say I answered the door... my own house.... AR slung on shoulder... not a good idea .... but any violation of the law?

Thanks.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In these times of "see something, say something" (made a big splash just the other day!) I think you did the right thing. Imagine if that dude called 911 and now you have to contend with SWAT and all that....
That being said, I always answer my door with a gun in my hand. But I live in a ghetto.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to answer the door with rifles and shotguns and bandoliers across your chest, there's nothing to stop you from doing it. On my property, decorum is what I define; I don't answer the door bearing long arms simply because I don't want to advertise to persons unknown that I have guns in the house. I'm not paranoid about gooberment goons or their stoolies, but I don't want Johnny the Crackhead to get the idea that I have something to steal while I'm gone to work.

On the other hand, if it would stop the morons who can't read the "No Trespassing" and "Keep Out" signs from knocking on my door to ask if my cars are for sale (do you see a flipping "For Sale" sign in the window?), I might start answering the door with an AR hanging from a single-point sling...

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was about 16 I was over at my friends house after we had gone hunting that morning and we were cleaning our guns. We see the local Mormon bike crew rolling up his driveway. The knock on the door and we both answered the door wearing heavy metal concert t-shirts and holding our shotguns. I've never seen those guys stutter so bad and leave so fast in my life. Was it the PC thing to do, probably not. But I tell you what, we still get a good laugh out of it. :-)

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was about 16 I was over at my friends house after we had gone hunting that morning and we were cleaning our guns. We see the local Mormon bike crew rolling up his driveway. The knock on the door and we both answered the door wearing heavy metal concert t-shirts and holding our shotguns. I've never seen those guys stutter so bad and leave so fast in my life. Was it the PC thing to do, probably not. But I tell you what, we still get a good laugh out of it. :-)

I once answered the door for a Jehovah's Witness wearing nothing but a sock, boxers and an SKS slung across my back. The look on his face was priceless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom