Visitor comes to door while I'm carrying my AR at home ... question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. That said, a few months back there was heavy knocking at my front door that wouldn't stop. I finally got pissed, grabbed my XDM 45, and jerked open the front door. It was a police officer. It was quickly determined that he was at the wrong address. Before he left he said " can I ask you a question?", to which I responded sure. He asked "do you always answer your door with a gun in your hand?" I said "yes, don't you?" He thought for a second, smiled, and said "I guess I do". We both laughed and he went on his way.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never answer the door without a gun in my hand. It's worked out well for me a couple of times. Most of the time whoever is at the door never even knows. The couple of times they needed to know, they found out very discreetly and rethought their tone of voice and the body language they were exhibiting.

A neighbor's son (who had just gotten out of county) had a nasty habit of lurking around at dusk. One night, when GC was at work, of course, I heard a noise in the backyard. Grabbed the Glock and flashlight and went outside to take a look as this was around the time that it everyone was losing their copper tubing. Sure enough, there was the neighbor's deadbeat son in my backyard. He started making all kinds of excuses about how he'd lost his football and he didn't want to bother me so he just jumped the fence.

About that time GC came around the corner, in uniform, as he'd just gotten home. The guy starts hollering at the top of his lungs "Don't shoot me, don't shoot me!" and throws his hands up in the air. GC starts laughing and says, "I'm not the one you need to worry about shooting you." Dumbass deadbeat never did see the Glock in my hand ... :disappoin Never did come in my backyard again either ... :naughty:

And no, there was no football in our backyard ...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nope.
My friend was coming by and we were about to go shooting. I had my AR slung on my shoulder and as I was about to pack it up, the doorbell rang.

I assumed it was my friend, but just in case, I first hid the AR. It turned out it was a salesman.

When I told my friend, he teased me, though I'm confident I did what was best in terms of social decorum.

But let's say I answered the door... my own house.... AR slung on shoulder... not a good idea .... but any violation of the law?

Thanks.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my dad answered the door to one of those Kirby vacuum guys. My dad said im not interested and started to shut the door. The Kirby guy stuck his foot in the door to keep it open, so my pops kicks the door shut on the poor bastards foot, yanks the door back open and shoves his .38 up the guys nose, and says very calmly. "I told you im not interested". Our front porch smelled like piss for a month.

That was the day it sunk in that my Dad did not mess around.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For several years I made my living selling insurance door-to-door,,,
I lost track of how many times the door opened to a naked (or semi-naked) man with a gun.

Only one time did it get ugly,,,
I had knocked and he rushed out pointing a shotgun,,,
He scared me so bad that I reacted without thinking about it,,,
I deflected the barrel from my face and yanked the shotgun out of his hands.

He called the cops after I left,,,
They gave me a field interview a few blocks away,,,
The cops were decent enough but did ask me why I felt I had to wrap his gun around a porch roof post.

I'm not a walking bad-ass,,,
But he scared me and I reacted hastily.

I now live in an old small town with no LE presence,,,
I open the door only after I've checked the porch monitor,,,
And even then I almost always have a 3" model 36 behind my back.

Aarond

marshrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My house, my rules, I guess. I never answer the door without a gun for the simple fact that I know whom I'm expecting. All others, I assume, are unwelcome. But then again, I'm paranoid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom