Visitor comes to door while I'm carrying my AR at home ... question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only people who come by our house without calling are our neighbors or the kids friends but no matter cause I always answer the door with a gun behind my back during the day or whatever time it is.

A few weeks ago a neighbors car was broken into and the alarm going off. My kid had just came back from Sonic and had not shut the door to his car all the way and the inside light was still on in his car in the driveway. It was about 12am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning and there is a really loud rap rap rap out at the front door. Wife was asleep back in her room, kids were in their rooms, and I was still up in the den a few rooms away with no lights on in the house, no porch light on, alarm wasnt on, no cameras on, etc. I grabbed the nearest firearm to me being my coffee table TV guide paperweight/G17 that stays in condition one and my Beretta 92 that had been in my pants earlier but now was in between the couch cushion and headed towards the door. Not thinking straight on the way there I stupidly racked the slide on the Beretta as I was in the foyer. Then I hear "Coweta Police Dept". I quickly hit the porch light, put both of the guns down on the tile and opened the door to see a police officer stood back with his hand not on his sidearm, but hovering over it. He was answering the call on the neighbors car and wanted me to come out and check out my kids car cause his dome light was on. We were out there checking it out and everything was ok and then while we were talking about the usually low crime in the area he said he heard me rack the slide on the pistol on the way to the door. I told him normally I wouldnt have give my self away like that that its usually in condition one but I had took it out of my pocket when I sat down to watch TV and had unloaded the chamber and the Glock is usually always out on the table at night when Im up at the ready and at the knock I thought I may need both of them cause the shotgun was by the coatrack near the door and I couldnt grab it too, blah blah blah. (He just looked at me like what the fck did I need all that for, what was I scared of. Like, heres a guy with tattoos from his neck to his ankles, maybe he's a drug dealer or something)... Then he tells me an intruder may have said fck it at that point when he heard that and fled and it wasnt a bad thing that I did. Sorry. My dad wouldnt have agreed and neither do I. And it sure wont happen again. Stupid stupid stupid. Time for retraining...

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only people who come by our house without calling are our neighbors or the kids friends but no matter cause I always answer the door with a gun behind my back during the day or whatever time it is.

A few weeks ago a neighbors car was broken into and the alarm going off. My kid had just came back from Sonic and had not shut the door to his car all the way and the inside light was still on in his car in the driveway. It was about 12am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning and there is a really loud rap rap rap out at the front door. Wife was asleep back in her room, kids were in their rooms, and I was still up in the den a few rooms away with no lights on in the house, no porch light on, alarm wasnt on, no cameras on, etc. I grabbed the nearest firearm to me being my coffee table TV guide paperweight/G17 that stays in condition one and my Beretta 92 that had been in my pants earlier but now was in between the couch cushion and headed towards the door. Not thinking straight on the way there I stupidly racked the slide on the Beretta as I was in the foyer. Then I hear "Coweta Police Dept". I quickly hit the porch light, put both of the guns down on the tile and opened the door to see a police officer stood back with his hand not on his sidearm, but hovering over it. He was answering the call on the neighbors car and wanted me to come out and check out my kids car cause his dome light was on. We were out there checking it out and everything was ok and then while we were talking about the usually low crime in the area he said he heard me rack the slide on the pistol on the way to the door. I told him normally I wouldnt have give my self away like that that its usually in condition one but I had took it out of my pocket when I sat down to watch TV and had unloaded the chamber and the Glock is usually always out on the table at night when Im up at the ready and at the knock I thought I may need both of them cause the shotgun was by the coatrack near the door and I couldnt grab it too, blah blah blah. (He just looked at me like what the fck did I need all that for, what was I scared of. Like, heres a guy with tattoos from his neck to his ankles, maybe he's a drug dealer or something)... Then he tells me an intruder may have said fck it at that point when he heard that and fled and it wasnt a bad thing that I did. Sorry. My dad wouldnt have agreed and neither do I. And it sure wont happen again. Stupid stupid stupid. Time for retraining...

That is why I like my revolver, you never hear me rack the slide.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago my ex girlfriends ex husband knocked on my door. I racked the slide on my 1911 and he didnt like that. But he didnt mess with me either. It pissed him off, and that was okay with me.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer only having to think about point and shoot. That applies to the 1911 on the Mrs.'s side of the bed, and the Beretta and mossberg 590 on my side.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend was coming by and we were about to go shooting. I had my AR slung on my shoulder and as I was about to pack it up, the doorbell rang.

I assumed it was my friend, but just in case, I first hid the AR. It turned out it was a salesman.

When I told my friend, he teased me, though I'm confident I did what was best in terms of social decorum.

But let's say I answered the door... my own house.... AR slung on shoulder... not a good idea .... but any violation of the law?

Thanks.

No violation at all.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was about 16 I was over at my friends house after we had gone hunting that morning and we were cleaning our guns. We see the local Mormon bike crew rolling up his driveway. The knock on the door and we both answered the door wearing heavy metal concert t-shirts and holding our shotguns. I've never seen those guys stutter so bad and leave so fast in my life. Was it the PC thing to do, probably not. But I tell you what, we still get a good laugh out of it. :-)

I am Mormon and most of the missionaries I have know grew up in households with guns. Many of them wanted to shoot my guns and many did. Two of them even went turkey hunting with me. My wife grew up in a Mormon household that never ate meat from the market. All they ate was wild game that they hunted and killed. Mormons are one of the most conservative groups in the US. they are 99% republican and many considered Ronald Reagan liberal. They are mostly preppers by church customs. They were most likely more put off by your t-shirts than the guns.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am Mormon and most of the missionaries I have know grew up in households with guns. Many of them wanted to shoot my guns and many did. Two of them even went turkey hunting with me. My wife grew up in a Mormon household that never ate meat from the market. All they ate was wild game that they hunted and killed. Mormons are one of the most conservative groups in the US. they are 99% republican and many considered Ronald Reagan liberal. They are mostly preppers by church customs. They were most likely more put off by your t-shirts than the guns.

He fixed his statement a couple posts later. Saying he meant Jehovah's Witnesses not Mormons.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do live in the country. My house, my rules as to how I want to answer the door. I guess there are some that would like to change that, but it would be best to call first before you drop by.

Latest posts

Top Bottom