Wabbit invasion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo! We have a winner here!
Predator/prey run in cycles. When the predators deplete the prey, they decline, then the prey like small game picks up for a couple of years, then the cycle starts over again.
Yeah, I told the guy at the road house down the way the same thing after he said business was slow. I said you gotta run these fat chicks out and the predators will come back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I told the guy at the road house down the way the same thing after he said business was slow. I said you gotta run these fat chicks out and the predators will come back.
Holy crap! You owe me a danged keyboard! Mine is full of Makers Mark currently!

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1722167655098.png
1722167655098.png

4ts&w

Marksman
Reaction score
It’s not just the predators, rabbits (both cottontails and jack) have been depleted due to a virus that nearly wipes out the population. It takes a long time for them to recover, especially because nearly everything eats them. Birds, reptiles, canines… they are definitely the ***** of the food chain. I have a lot of friends who are falconers and although they can hunt other prey (ducks, squirrel, quail, pigeon, etc ) depending on the species of bird, cottons and jacks are the most common.

If anyone knows of bunny rich areas where they can hunt with these birds, the info is always appreciated.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm watering the rabbits around my house. I try to leave veggies and lettuce for them but I go back later and nothing has eaten the scraps.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a jack rabbit.
1722477798920.png

I hated finding them in the field when hunting cottontails with beagles.
A cottontail will always eventually run in a circle, coming back to the hunter when chased by beagles.
The jack rabbit will run in a straight line for miles.
My beagle got after one once and I lost sight of her a mile away. Drove around the section lines for hours trying to find her. Nada.
I heard that if one left an item of clothing where you last saw the dog get on a scent, they would eventually retrace their steps and be at the location where the clothing was left.
Put down an undershirt and a jacket and came back at 5 am the next morning.
Sure as heck, that beagle was sleeping on my clothing.
We had several more successful hunting seasons before she got too old.
To this day, I have hunting buddies back in the day brag on how intense she was in catching rabbits on her own. It became a contest to see if the dog or the hunter would bring home more rabbits.
Sometimes the dog won.

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wabbits are everywhere this year......went to get a steroid injection in my shoulder at the Norman Health Plex yesterday and saw one in one of the parking lot medians then went to Academy and saw the same thing but two.

Two in the back yard around dawn this morning and one in each of the neighbors yards across the circle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom