Wabbit invasion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wabbits are everywhere this year......went to get a steroid injection in my shoulder at the Norman Health Plex yesterday and saw one in one of the parking lot medians then went to Academy and saw the same thing but two.

Two in the back yard around dawn this morning and one in each of the neighbors yards across the circle.
Out n w of OKC Cottontails are everywhere. Lots of foxes in these small towns too.
Swirls of kites in the sky, plenty of skwirlz, and... thankfully not many flies this year. Last year I had swarms of the filthy things.

I ain't seen a jack rabbit, nor quail for years. I like to blame the jack lack on an old disease they never recovered from, and the lack of quail on the half mile birds.... you know, those red tail hawks you see flying by with hapless snakes and paratrooping off of phone poles to snatch up small rodents.
They're usually seen spaced about every 1/2 mile or so on any given country road around here.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wabbits are good if you don't have any food. Maybe it's nature's way of telling us that harder times are near??

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See a bunch in my backyard and neighborhood. Like this little guy that was out front last week. We also have a pair of Hawks or Kites keeping an eye on the neighborhood.

Attachments

• Bunny.jpg
    Bunny.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 0

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had the Kites for the last 5 or 6 years. Before them we had a lot more song birds. I think the Kites get the young coming out of the nest. Dove and rabbits are down since the swarms of Kites appeared.
I can count a pack of 50 circling high up.

Last edited:

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have had the Kites for the last 5 or 6 years. Before them we had a lot more song birds. I think the Kites get the young coming out of the nest. Dove and rabbits are down since the swarms of Kites appeared.
I can count a pack of 50 circling high up.
I've seen a kite flying out of a tree with a paw fulla trailing nestage followed by a pr. of very upset robin parents... I'm sure that one of their babies was included in that talonful of plant matter.
I've also been sitting out on the steps when a small toad hopped up on my foot...carefully eyed by several kites up in a tree. The next few days, toads were extremely rare. Those kites make coyotes look positively lame as predators.
Kites are master hunters!

Latest posts

Top Bottom