Walkers vs. Crutches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, you youngsters. When your time comes ... and it will. Do NOT. I repeat DO NOT let some nurse at the orthopedic doctor's office talk you into a walker. Those things were invented by the devil. And insurance companies. I am sure of it.:grumble:

No wonder old people are so grumpy. These ****ing walkers are insurance companies' way of trying to kill you off early. Or make you so sore all over you just don't ever get out of bed again. Christ on a damned cracker. **** me running. There is not a cell in my body that doesn't hurt and it's from using that ******* ****ing piece of **** walker to go down the hallway to the bathroom and back to the sofa. Sheesh ...:grumble::censored::finger:

I ordered me some crutches from Sam's Club today. So I can get around without killing myself. Lol My gosh, I've had all kinds of stuff done to me over the years but I've NEVER hurt like I have from using that thing. And that includes being cornered in a trailer by a spooked mare. And stomped by a pretty pissed off bull back in the day. On the other hand, if I keep up with it I'm gonna have shoulders like a damned linebacker. Haha!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had a time or two when my foot acted up (sprained arch) and the thought of walking was a nightmare. Have literally crawled to the bathroom and held it as long as possible to prevent having to try and walk.

My wife started walking with a cane a while ago, mainly just here and there but when she could no longer stand upright and was tripping over her own feet a power chair was the only option. But if ANYTHING can keep you up and moving it's a lot better than what she is having happen. It doesn't take long before you have problems with the lack of strength.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crutches make my armpits hurt. A walker makes my back hurt. I got one of those knee-scooter things to try out one time. It was great, except there is no "governor" on it, or brakes, and you can get to going pretty fast. Then the next thing you know, you're all tipped over on your ass and it's back to the crutches or the walker.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you was closer i would give you a set of crutches just to get them out of my hair, I have about 6 pair of them around that i have collected over the years between me and the kids, all lengths and sizes.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crutches make my armpits hurt. A walker makes my back hurt. I got one of those knee-scooter things to try out one time. It was great, except there is no "governor" on it, or brakes, and you can get to going pretty fast. Then the next thing you know, you're all tipped over on your ass and it's back to the crutches or the walker.

I looked that those on Amazon today. I ain't paying $160 bucks for something so my poor ankle won't have any weight on it for a couple more weeks. I'll just scoot around on my ass if it comes to that. Sheesh. I used crutches when I was in high school and again in college. And again in my 30s. And 40s. I didn't find them to be that bad. And I never tripped over them. Or nearly tipped over on them like I have on this damned walker. Jeez Louise, this thing is dangerous if you aren't on level, dry concrete with it, and even then the bouncing makes my ankle hurt like I've been running on it. It's terrible.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crutches make my armpits hurt.
This is an indication that the hand grips are too low.

My wife had the same problem with a set of wooden crutches we bought at the thrift store. I drilled holes a bit higher on the frames and moved the grips up an inch or so. Worked just fine.

The secret is to share the weight between your hands and armpits. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom