Wanting a new rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question I bet everyone has heard over a billion, trillion times, but I don't know if I ought to get an AK or an AR.
I'm gonna be getting rid of my CZ 527 American (.223) so I can get me a new rifle.
The two options that I have is a Century Arms C39 (AK-47) and the new Ruger AR-556.
Which ever one I get I'mma trick it out and make it look and function good.
I like both rifles but I don't know which is better.

If I were to get the C39, I'd get a side folding stock, possibly a new pistol grip, a new quad rail handguard (Probably from Samson), a Fortis SHIFT vertical foregrip (Probably the short version), and more than likely an optic of some sort like say a Vortex Spark red dot or an Aimpoint T-1.

As for the AR-556, I'm for sure going to get a better collapsible stock, a flat CMC trigger, Bravo Company charging handle, Troy flip-up sights, a low profile gas block (Probably from Samson), Samson Evolution 15" handguard, an H&K or Sig style pistol grip, a Fortis SHIFT vertical foregrip (Probably the short version), and some sort of optic.

I do know that the C39 is a bit cheaper than the AR-556 but I can't do as much to it as I would like to like with an AR.
At least I do know though that it'll work all the way through hell and back.

I just need help on what I oughta' get since I need a good semi-auto rifle.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are those your only 2 options!

Because those are generally the best/most common rifles.
I'm only gonna have around at the most $750 to play with and these two rifles are around $650 or so in stores.
I know there's other things like an SKS or a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30.
Unless you can tell me something different but is also effective and I can do a good amount to, I'mma have to stick with these two (Unfortunately).
Lol, jk.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not really trying to sway you from a different "type" of rifle. My thought is there are many more AK and AR brands/models in the $750 range. I was just curious why you had 2 very specific options. I'm not sure what FFL transfers go for in Mcalester, but I would hold off a few weeks and see what the online retailers have for sale after Thanksgiving. If you are planning a trip to OKC any time soon, get with SSP and see what they can do for you. From the sound of what you posted, I would recommend staying with an AR. If you decide you want an AK, take a look at the O-PAP and N-PAP lines.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have said, there are many other options. But - if you limit it to those two - I'd go with the Ruger simply because of their support track record - note that I don't have any bad experience with CZ support, just that Ruger has always been very responsive and reasonably quick.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not really trying to sway you from a different "type" of rifle. My thought is there are many more AK and AR brands/models in the $750 range. I was just curious why you had 2 very specific options. I'm not sure what FFL transfers go for in Mcalester, but I would hold off a few weeks and see what the online retailers have for sale after Thanksgiving. If you are planning a trip to OKC any time soon, get with SSP and see what they can do for you. From the sound of what you posted, I would recommend staying with an AR. If you decide you want an AK, take a look at the O-PAP and N-PAP lines.

That I understand, here in McAlester, our local gun store has a Century Arms C39.
I handled it some and I really enjoyed it.
I could get a Windham Weaponry AR for the same price, the Ruger was the first one that popped into my head.
If I could I'd love to get me an "AR pistol" with the Sig Stabilizer Brace, but there's no way on God's green Earth that I can get one with $750 (At the most).

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That I understand, here in McAlester, our local gun store has a Century Arms C39.
I handled it some and I really enjoyed it.
I could get a Windham Weaponry AR for the same price, the Ruger was the first one that popped into my head.
If I could I'd love to get me an "AR pistol" with the Sig Stabilizer Brace, but there's no way on God's green Earth that I can get one with $750 (At the most).

Have you checked out Fat Boys? They have some deals on a pistol lower with sig brace now. You could build an AR for that with the sig brace for that now and even easier on Black Friday

Latest posts

Top Bottom