Wanting to re-barrel a rifle so I will enjoy shooting it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA Caliber Swap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there are a ton of questions that you need answers to to answer mine. You are going to have to wing it a little. I have an early 90's Savage 110 in 30-06. No accutrigger, cheap plastic stock, poor accuracy. I already have had most of the standard calibers. Like 270, 30-06, 25-06, etc.

I want to turn it into something that I will enjoy shooting. Not so much a paper rig. Would like to hunt with it. Would like to do a little 600 yard + steel shooting with it also. I reload. I wanting it to be pack able. I am thinking 24" barrel max. Maybe a little heavier than sporter with some fluting. Nice Mcmillian and ceracote the rifle. Change out the trigger also. Can't take the blind magizine either so that will have to be worked out.

I do not want to get rid of it because it was my first center fire rifle. Little bit of sentimental attachment. My dad use to tax my paycheck when I was a teenager. 50% tax. Pretty brutal, or so I thought at the time. I was told they were helping me save for college. He used the cash for the guys he worked on a construction crew with. Sort of ran a little pawn buisiness. Usually showed up with something about midweek when the guys got broke. This is something that one guy never took back. I dont remember seeing any of the other money.

Thanks for everyone's input. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to share them.

jspurgeon

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've wanted to have your problem. If it was me I'd get a barrel in 6.5-06. Dies are expensive, everybody will tell you could just shoot a 270, but if you believe what you read, that 6.5 shoots like a raygun.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what makes one caliber more inherently "fun" than another? I mean... are you talking about the challenge of working up different handloads with varying weights and podwer charges to fit specific scenarios such as long rang, flat-shooting or whatever? Or are you looking at the stability and accuracy of the round out as far as possible? Or something that gives a nice solid kick in the shoulder when firing... I am not sure what that really means.

Granted, I'm a noob when it comes to rifles, and all I've ever done is punch paper with my ARs and .17HMR, so I don't really get it. Can you help me?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted for the 6.5-06, since I have one and like it. I run the 123 gr Amax's in mine, and it shoots pretty good; I've killed one deer with it so far (this is only second season I've had it), and it dropped him in his tracks. That being said, I would also say that a .260 Rem is probably slightly better than this caliber, and although you have a long action, I bet it might work with a short action case just fine. I also have a 22-243 built on a Win Model 70 action, its a 243 case in a long action gun, and it shoots awesome. Might also help if you wanted to run some longer bullets. If you stay with a long action round, I would say 6.5-06, 6-06, then maybe the 257 Roberts in that order. Good luck!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not in your list, but I'll throw .280 Ackley Improved out there for you. You could go the easy route and just have your 06' improved.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what makes one caliber more inherently "fun" than another? I mean... are you talking about the challenge of working up different handloads with varying weights and podwer charges to fit specific scenarios such as long rang, flat-shooting or whatever? Or are you looking at the stability and accuracy of the round out as far as possible? Or something that gives a nice solid kick in the shoulder when firing... I am not sure what that really means.

Granted, I'm a noob when it comes to rifles, and all I've ever done is punch paper with my ARs and .17HMR, so I don't really get it. Can you help me?
Not so much different loads, just work up one that will hit what ever I point it at consistently out to a sane range. Yes Stability and Accuracy are going to be my main focus. I don't have to have the kick but it would not deter me either.

I am with you. I love to shoot ARs in rifle matches. I like to paper punch and plink with a 22. It is a different kind of fun to go out and shoot the smallest target possible at the farthest range possible. Some of the most memorable days out shooting in the recent years are me and my cousins setting up steel 300 to 600 yards. It is the type of shooting I have the most fun at. I think that has just as much to do with company as the style itself. None of my cousins have ARs or pistols. They all have good rifles with good glass. It is a very fun style of shooting and you give it a try sometime when you get a chance.

I've wanted to have your problem. If it was me I'd get a barrel in 6.5-06. Dies are expensive, everybody will tell you could just shoot a 270, but if you believe what you read, that 6.5 shoots like a raygun.
This is what I am leaning towards.

I voted for the 6.5-06, since I have one and like it. I run the 123 gr Amax's in mine, and it shoots pretty good; I've killed one deer with it so far (this is only second season I've had it), and it dropped him in his tracks. That being said, I would also say that a .260 Rem is probably slightly better than this caliber, and although you have a long action, I bet it might work with a short action case just fine. I also have a 22-243 built on a Win Model 70 action, its a 243 case in a long action gun, and it shoots awesome. Might also help if you wanted to run some longer bullets. If you stay with a long action round, I would say 6.5-06, 6-06, then maybe the 257 Roberts in that order. Good luck!

Thanks Clint.
Since I have a 6.5 X 55 I'm partial to that dia bullet. Seems that there are a lot more choices of bullet sizes than in the .270

Yes there seems to be. They also have some with really impressive BC. Thanks Willy

Not in your list, but I'll throw .280 Ackley Improved out there for you. You could go the easy route and just have your 06' improved.
That would be too easy. I shoot mostly conventional rifle calibers. I want something I have to load for and get to tinker with. Plus it will be neat that it is a caliber that nobody I hang out with will be familiar with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom