Wanting to re-barrel a rifle so I will enjoy shooting it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA Caliber Swap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
284 Plain. Use 6.5x284 Lapua brass. Powder capacity of 30-06 in more efficient case with very efficient bullet selection.

6.5x55 (or improve) is really hard to argue with. As a matter of fact, while searching for Remington 700 action I accidentally acquired a couple of Savages in 270win - I should do one in 6.5x55, eh?

P.S. I just did 6SLR on LA Savage. Works fantastic.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok when I started this thread I thoroughly intended to end up with a 6.5-06. I have now changed my mind. I am thinking he 6.5x55 is gonna be it. The two biggest rifle snobs on here seem to be in favor of it. They make a good case and have made me do a lot of research on it. I decided it is what I wanna go with because of the reduced recoil ove the 06 and only loosing a couple hundred FPS. I think it will be a good round and should be fun to shoot. Readily available brass will be nice also.

So does anyone with experience With the 6.5x55 have suggestions on barrels. Brand, length, profile, twist, ect. Will the 24" I am thinking of be a good length. Where do I go to get it installed. I need to figure out a gameplan.

The snob thing is not intended in a bad way. I ment it more as a discerning person. I respect both of your opinions very much with regards to rifle shooting. You two have always called me out when I needed it. You can take the boys out of Snipershide but you can't take the Snipershide out of the boys. Anyways thanks for all the input from everyone. This site is awesome.

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
284 Plain. Use 6.5x284 Lapua brass. Powder capacity of 30-06 in more efficient case with very efficient bullet selection.

6.5x55 (or improve) is really hard to argue with. As a matter of fact, while searching for Remington 700 action I accidentally acquired a couple of Savages in 270win - I should do one in 6.5x55, eh?

P.S. I just did 6SLR on LA Savage. Works fantastic.

MoBoost beat me too it. I was going to suggest plain ole' 284 or 6.5x284 as well. You can load it way out there and it will out perform any of the cartilages you listed (i think... i didn't look to hard at your list). Still plenty of knock down for just about anything you can find in Oklahoma as well as plenty of emphffff to get out to some darn good range.

Also wouldn't count out something like a 6.5 creedmoor, L/A would work just fine, decent barrel life... very good ballistics out to way further than 600.

The list goes on and one and there are many many choices but I would suggest going with a 6.5mm cartiage to save money on components in the long run (when they get back in stock that is).

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to look a little harder at 7mm choices before locking yourself in.

I personally run a 260 with 6.5mm 139 Scenars at 2850 fps (BC of around .6) and shoot several thousand round a year in practices and matches.
In the past I did run the 123 Scenar at 3050 fps and it was real nice but a bit light on steel out past 1000 yards.
Tried the 6.5mm Swede but used it in a short action and didn't care to have to load it so short and didn't like the slightly different base diameter of the brass..
Also have a 6.5-284 that is one of the best shooting barrels I have ever owned. 2950 with the 139 seems to be a sweet spot. It hits real hard and shoots real straight as long as I do my part.

That said, some of the 7mm choices have a higher BC with heavier bullets to give more down range energy. It makes a big difference on windy days as the distance gets longer.
168 to 180 grains is the bullet range I have been considering in 7mm, specifically Berger. Obviously lots of other manufacturers make good 7mm bullets but I have only looked at Berger.
Outstanding BC and good velocity in some of the more efficient caliber choices.
The one I have been looking at the hardest is the 7mm WSM but loaded longer than factory to work in the long action.
Darn good hunting caliber, plenty of punch to smack steel out past 1000 yards, and not to bad when it comes time to reload.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here you go, you'll be the talk of the town...........6mm Thermos Bottle.........a little bolt face work......chop down some .416 Rigby....a little brass tweaking here and there, and wala!!!!!

[Broken External Image]

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks more like a propane bottle. I am compiling parts for a .260 REM right now. I decided last second to go with a 6.5mm round for its better ballistics compared to .308. I plan to shoot 130ish gr bullets with it, should be plenty good OK deer medicine and good on coyote at distances up to 800 yards. Not that I anticipate a shot opportunity at that distance but its still (barely) over 1000 ft/lbs of energy at that distance. Meaning the round is capable if the operator is.

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a barrel I did some research before going 6.5mm and it seemed 1:8 twist is popular for stabilizing heavier bullets. I read an article and it was about the fact that its not possible to "over-stabilize" a bullet so you could shoot lighter bullets too.

Barrel mfg seems to be more personal preference like ford, Chevy, dodge. As long as you stay with a well regarded barrel mfg you should be fine. Barrels like Krieger, Hart, Mike Rock, Bartlein, Criterion, Brux, etc.

I went with a Medium Palma profile for my build but barrel profile is also a personal choice as it will greatly affect weight. Only you know how much weight you can tolerate carrying, if you intend to carry it at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom