Wanting to reload - advice sought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkhan

Enlightened Redneck
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start reloading 308 and 243 for distance. Looking for recommendations on what setup is good. I currently have no equipment.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This is a basic of where I would start. I’d sell the scale and replace with an RCBS 505 but others will disagree
4789CD06-58A1-48B4-A433-C3E0372B3F8D.png

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’d probably buy a manual first and research good powder for those calibers and then second I would try to buy primers and powder.

Thirdly I would then start getting equipment.

You’re gonna be very upset if you get all the equipment first and then not be able to load because you don’t have the two most (at this time) rare components…

IMR4064 is a great powder for .308win.

Last edited:

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with the Lee setup years ago and thats all i still use to this day and i load for 28 different calibers as of now. I think my setup cost $60 back then and i traded some brass for it to a guy in Ohio and he ordered the kit as payment and had sent to me.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with get a single stage press and learn on it, you can always upgrade to a turret or progressive press later when you know what you're doing, and the single stage press will STILL be useful.

Lee equipment is much less expensive, and while it's not as sturdy as Lyman/RCBS/Hornady etc. it will last you for years or decades and do a plenty good job. The kits like the one above are a good way to get into reloading, you'll accumulate more accessories and upgrade individual components as you go, but the kit above will serve you well for many years. You'll more likely upgrade to sturdier components just because you want sturdier components rather than you wore anything out.

I've always said Lee products will last you most of a lifetime, while Lyman/RCBS/Hornady will last you several lifetimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom