Wanting to reload - advice sought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H&H in OKC used to have basic loading classes all the time, classes were usually pretty well sold out, and kept small. . A really nice and competent guy named Don (I think his name was) taught the classes.

Unfortunately a few years ago he passed away. I *think* H&H still offers these classes , I don’t who does it now or if they’re good or not. Don was excellent. You might call the Reloading Dept at H&H and inquire.

It’s a real ***** getting primers now. I drove almost 200 miles round trip earlier today to get some primers. I felt lucky to get them.
Once you find primers buy all you can. Break the bank. Blow the budget. Incur the expense. Just pay. You can’t do a thing without primers.

Powder is somewhat better but still danged expensive and hard to get. Buy it when you find it.

Sell some crap you have lying around. Get a part time job. Eat rice and beans. Get a new credit card. Work some overtime. This is not currently the inexpensive hobby it used to be.

Good luck to you.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think you can save any $$$ reloading 9 mm right now. There are currently good prices on new 9mm and it’s plentiful.

However, always always always pick up brass! Pick it up! Even calibers you don’t load. Others need it and you can help them out. What goes around comes around.

Don’t pick up and save steel cases. You can’t reload steel cases.

There are some good guys here who sell range brass.

It’s much easier to reload pistol brass than rifle brass. Learn pistol first. Learn the basics. Rifle reloading is a bit more complicated, requires more stuff to do, that costs some more $$$ to acquire.

Easiest thing to reload is straight wall pistol, 38 special/357 mag, 44 special/44 mag, 45 Long Colt.

bobkhan

Enlightened Redneck
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice so far!!

What manual should I get first?

What about these pre primed brass?

Attachments

• D102CBDE-9B4F-485C-B545-32FB7725BD9F.png
    D102CBDE-9B4F-485C-B545-32FB7725BD9F.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice so far!!

What manual should I get first?

What about these pre primed brass?

I have a Lee and a Hornady Manual. Lee has a lot more stuff in it. Hornady is good if you plan on using Hornady Bullets.

I prefer Sierra but some people have good luck with Hornady.

Norma is good brass. Primers are like $10/100. I’d probably pass on that deal but that’s just me.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the love of humanity, your children, and your marriage, don't do it. Did you read GeneW's two posts above, he's not a well man, probably an old time reloader. Who knows, maybe I've bumped into him at a Reloaders Anonymous meeting, I don't know what he looks like though because his head was down, and he was looking for brass. In the morning I have to tell my wife we are going to the city so I can pick up another piece of loading equipment, which will cause her to call her family, my family, the Mental Health people, and her lawyer, but I have to get that fix. It started about 50 years ago, just small stuff, a Versa Mec, I got it from a pusher named Hayden who worked at Mashburn Arms. Then a Rockchucker kit, then, and then, and then, now, we live in a van, down by the river. Just don't.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ABCs of Reloading to get started

Check pawn shops, garage sales, estate sales. Don't fret on make of press. A single stage press is pretty basic and don't vary in operation, among brands.

Buying primed brass is a good start. Plus 1 step less to worry about in the beginning. You will want to remove the decapping pin when you size your brass, though.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NSU Tahlequah has an NRA reloading class coming up Apr 15-16, and also May and June. See NRA Rifle & Pistol Cartridge Reloading - NSU

My wife and I both took the class, and highly recommend it. Tom Salmon teaches it, and he does a very good job. And Tom always told us to call him if we ever have any questions. You don't need any equipment for the class, and you can do some better research for equipment after going through the process. There might be a class offered in the OKC area.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least three manuals to start with. The ABC's of Reloading, Modern Reloading, 2nd Ed. from Lee, and Lyman #50 will get you started. There are also online manuals on the powder maker's websites for use with their powders. DO NOT use any data not listed by any of the powder manufacturers or in your manuals! There is a lot of data floating around on the internet that is questionable - if not dangerous.

If you have an Ollie's Closeout Center close by, many have the ABC's of Reloading for a cheap price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom