water jug at 150 yds with a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started shooting handguns seriously in the mid 1960's and no one told us we couldn't or shouldn't be able to hit targets at 100 plus yards. Since we didn't know better, we routinely shot targets at rifle ranges with handguns. Using holdover and windage to estimate the bullet travel, it isn't really all that difficult to do. I'm not talking one inch groups, but hitting a gallon jug at that range is definitely doable.. Blitzfike

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have our recruits shoot at a popper at around 115yds. Then durring the Instructor school we shoot a 55gal drum at about 400yds. Much hold over! And MUCH hold over for the .45acp shooters... might as well been a morter! But it still made it through and through.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have our recruits shoot at a popper at around 115yds. Then durring the Instructor school we shoot a 55gal drum at about 400yds. Much hold over! And MUCH hold over for the .45acp shooters... might as well been a morter! But it still made it through and through.
400 yards with a pistol? Holy crap, I get an ego boost when I hit a target that far with a rifle, can't imagine doing that with a .45.

I suppose a 55 gallon drum is a pretty big target, but still.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ever tried to... and probably never will. I see no point of using a handgun to hit a target 150 yards away. I have an AR for that kind of thing.

I say that though with this in mind - my handguns are for CCW duty. As such - I will not engage with anything even half that distance. I practice at 7-25 yards. This is typical self defense range.

But whatever floats one's boat. ;)

I just have to gloat on this cuz. WE may have to try this someday.

I admit that I have not shot a milk jug at 150 yards with a handgun, but I have at 100 yards. SO I am pretty confident that I could get it done at 150.
Oh, and I was shooting my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. with the 8 inch bbl. Second shot hit near the bottom of the jug.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During our pistol school at my local employment's range, we took 5 shot groups at 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150 yards. hit 10 out 10 shots on man size steel target. my ego got me though when I took numbers 11, 12 and 13! total misses. =(

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I was at Lexington, a guy I was shooting with managed to hit some soda cans near the end of the range with a Walther P22 (shooting Stingers, I think).
I think the range is 100yds out there.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally shoot at the river and shoot revolvers out to a few hundred yards, for no rhyme or reason. At 50 yards a beer can is in trouble with my ccw a Taurus 605, I went 2/6 at 350 yards (used a range finder) with my Colt Trooper MkIII in 22 lr on a 36" gong. I have shot enough at distances out to 150 yards with a pistol to know that even with a 2 inch 357 it would not be a safe place to be if someone that has done a little bit of homework with their firearms is shooting at you.

I watched my buddy hit the same gong from the same place with a S&W 686 with a Nikon 2x20 scope and he was able to make quite a few hits with 38 spl wadcutters. He said he was holding the gong in the very bottom of the scope where the reticle meets the bell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom