water jug at 150 yds with a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's roughly 160-ish inches of drop at that distance (presuming some things about that round like ballistic coefficient, etc... that I can't seem to find because there's absolutely no data out there on long-range shooting with a .10mm PMC hollow point that I can find).

So just aim 13 feet higher than the target and no problems right?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We shoot regularly at 60-80 yards at metal targets.My dad has a 4 inch model66 that will ring the bell almost every time with his 38 handloads at that distance. We;ll step back to near 100 and play with 22's and other calibers.I would rather do that than train,train,train all the time.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's roughly 160-ish inches of drop at that distance (presuming some things about that round like ballistic coefficient, etc... that I can't seem to find because there's absolutely no data out there on long-range shooting with a .10mm PMC hollow point that I can find).

So just aim 13 feet higher than the target and no problems right?

~160in @ 352yds in 10mm wouldn't be too bad, considering 338 Edge is ~213in @ 950yds.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I haven't ever tried to... and probably never will. I see no point of using a handgun to hit a target 150 yards away. I have an AR for that kind of thing.

I say that though with this in mind - my handguns are for CCW duty. As such - I will not engage with anything even half that distance. I practice at 7-25 yards. This is typical self defense range.

But whatever floats one's boat. ;)

Lighten up man. Like any target shooting it is about the challenge.
If the only reason you handle a gun is to practice for self defense then more power to you but for me putting lead on target is FUN! Whether that target is paper or steel or ??.

I've shot the 100yd steel at Red Castle with my 1911s, probably 3 out of 7 maybe but still tons of fun.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my Elmer Keith emulation days, I shot my S&W 29 at water-filled milk jugs at 100 yards (furthest available to me then). With a solid seated backrest position (look in the Keith books) I'd splatter water pretty often with the classic 9 gr of Unique under a 240 Keith SWC lead bullet. Makes me want to try it again to see if I can still do it.

You beat me to it Buzz.
We used to do this back in the day because of the same stories of Mr. Keith.
We actually got fairly decent at it.
I was shooting my 8 3/8 Model 629 and my buddy was shooting his long barreled Model 27.
We used colored water in the jugs for effect.
Fun stuff, unfortunately neither of us could see any glimmer of that jug these days....:cry3:

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, this is a year old thread. Talk about reviving the dead. :bigeye::faint:

The main reason I said what I said when I said it was with a thought towards new shooters and practical handgun training and practice. Time spent shooting at 100yd targets is time spent not practicing other skills, but I also recognize that everyone is in it for different reasons.

As I said a year ago, whatever floats a person's boat. I apologize for my pragmatic curmudgeonliness.

And yes, I too shoot pistols (Buckmark, etc) out to 100 and 150 yards when I get the urge.

RIP old thread. :Heya:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a guy on one of those hunting/shooting shows on friday night outdoor channel that used a .38 Colt snubbie to hit a baloon at 300 yds. He told what the hold over was and it was incredible. Took him three shots to hit it, but I'll bet he put in a couple of hundred getting ready for the shot.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
gets um every time!

Attachments

• gunn.jpg
    gunn.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 142

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For those that shoot at SSSC already know we have some Gongs at 230yrds.

The biggest one is about 30 inches diameter and I have witnessed it being shot with a snub nose revolver. 1 out 5 shots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom