Well that was a first

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me years ago I pulled up to our old range in Ponca. I got out of my truck ,grabbed some of my stuff, and walked down to the firing line. A guy was getting ready to shoot a lever action 30-30 and said to me " I glad someone is here now". I asked him "Why". He replied "This load that I'm getting ready to shoot is 10% over max load so if anything goes wrong someone is here. I said "ok". I stood way back while he shot the first and last round. Lucky for him it locked up the action and he was done for the day. Why anyone would try that with a 30-30 I'll never understand. I heard later he had to take it to a local gunsmith to get the casing out of the chamber.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in boot camp, we had a kid in our platoon that was an honest to God "Hill Billy". When he got there he had about 5 teeth which were promptly removed and he got a full set of dentures. During rirle qualifications he just could not score anywhere near the needed score. The DI's did everything they could think of, they screamed, knocked him around, were nice to him, nothing seemed to work. This kid tried to explain he did not know what was wrong, he had been hunting all his life shooting rabbits, possum, squrirrel, et.ctc..
Finally they got to asking him about his rifle and learned that it did not have a rear sight.

They took his M-14 to the amor who removed the rear sight. Next day the kid qualified.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MY question is what kind of people is the Army training, i thought the army taught everyone the basic of how to shoot a handgun and a rifle, was never in the service since they wouldn't allow me to join so this is just my understanding i can be wrong.
The Army of my day made you proficient in firearms.
The Army of 20 years ago ,like the person in question said he was, I don't know how their training with firearms went.
I do know the training of the Army reserves in recent years is woefully lacking.
They only get 40 rounds a year to qualify, and that's typically just a bang bang, and your qualified.
We have a unit of Army Reservists come to our range to bivouac annually and do their qualifications. Some newbs can't even figure out what direction to load the magazine in. By the end of the weekend, they get many more than 40 rounds as well as more knowledgeable and proficient.
I'm not going to point fingers at anyone that caused that lack of training because I don't know. Just relating real time what I do know.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in January of 1966, my Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood was in a company made up primarily of Reservists and National Guard members. I think there might have been five of us that were Regular Army.

When at the range, the cadre tended to try to speed things up. When we were shooting 25 meters to zero, the sergeant looked at the pattern on my target and quickly adjusted the sights on my M-14 and then sent me back. Later in shooting at the range, especially so with pop-up targets, I wasn't hitting good at all. They knew I grew up with rifles, so they were confused. They had one of the sergeants take me back to the 25 meter range and shoot again.

Come to find out, when trying to zero, I was missing the target altogether, and the guy next to me was hitting my target instead of his. I had been zeroed based on his shooting. The new trip got me zeroed and I was good to go from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom