Went crow hunting... I need some tips!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made myself a homemade electronic caller and tried it out a few times at the house and crows were going nuts over this thing. At home (choctaw) i had maybe 15-20 crows come in just a matter of a few minutes, but once i got to the lexington public hunting area I couldnt get any to come in to my electronic call. I could hear the crows at a distance, and called in a hawk with the crow distress cry but for the life of me i couldnt get any crows to come in close. After 45 minutes of calling with the electronic call (would call for 10-15 seconds turn the call off for 2-5 minutes and then repeat) I could see one crow at about 250-300 yards that was sitting in a tree but that was the closest thing I had. What gives? I was so excited about being in the woods with my new shotgun but i saw more darn crows at the side of the highway than i did in the woods!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
For what its worth,I havn't had much luck at lexington either.I do much better at other places.Its been years since i was there,but was crow hunting the last time and i think i got one.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made myself a homemade electronic caller and tried it out a few times at the house and crows were going nuts over this thing. At home (choctaw) i had maybe 15-20 crows come in just a matter of a few minutes, but once i got to the lexington public hunting area I couldnt get any to come in to my electronic call. I could hear the crows at a distance, and called in a hawk with the crow distress cry but for the life of me i couldnt get any crows to come in close. After 45 minutes of calling with the electronic call (would call for 10-15 seconds turn the call off for 2-5 minutes and then repeat) I could see one crow at about 250-300 yards that was sitting in a tree but that was the closest thing I had. What gives? I was so excited about being in the woods with my new shotgun but i saw more darn crows at the side of the highway than i did in the woods!

They are most likely call shy. If they have been shot at over a call before they get really skittish. I learned that when I was in middle school, I made 10 or so sets over a few months and killed a bunch of crows. For 2 or 3 years after that it was very difficult to get them to commit, especially more than just a single.

Also let the first few birds pass and you will be swarmed by them.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what its worth,I havn't had much luck at lexington either.I do much better at other places.Its been years since i was there,but was crow hunting the last time and i think i got one.

Lexington wasn't my favorite place i've ever been but I've heard good things about it. I'll try again with some decoys and a hand call to see if i can't get em to come in.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are most likely call shy. If they have been shot at over a call before they get really skittish. I learned that when I was in middle school, I made 10 or so sets over a few months and killed a bunch of crows. For 2 or 3 years after that it was very difficult to get them to commit, especially more than just a single.

Also let the first few birds pass and you will be swarmed by them.

That makes sense because they didn't seem interested at all. I didn't know to pass on the first couple birds so they will definatly be helpful. I have noticed that they seem to all work together as a team so do they send in a couple crows to see what is going on before they send in the whole crew?

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you got busted by the "look out" bird. Wear camo and hide well, the bird that shows up first and sits in the tree out of range will give the all clear to the others. You might want to find an owl decoy or 2-3 crow decoys to go along with the call. Also, for what its worth I leave the caller going until I am done with the stand.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you got busted by the "look out" bird. Wear camo and hide well, the bird that shows up first and sits in the tree out of range will give the all clear to the others. You might want to find an owl decoy or 2-3 crow decoys to go along with the call. Also, for what its worth I leave the caller going until I am done with the stand.

I have heard that as well. Combine some crow decoys along with the Owl.

Latest posts

Top Bottom