What am I doing wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I just started reloading 45 acp. I HAVE reloaded in the past and NEVER had a problem. My 45 rounds come in two varieties. Some of them feed into the chamber with NO problems at all, and other get stuck in the chamber with about 1/16th of the round left that does not feed. I have adjusted the crimp, the I tried seating the bullet deeper in the case, I have tumbled the rounds after I have loaded tham. I am really frustrated. Most of the rounds do just fine yet others are get jammed in the chamber. Any ideas? Thanks.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's not the crimp, and not the bullet engaging the lands and grooves, then I would question whether you are full length sizing the cases adequately. Brass from Glocks with factory barrels will
have a pronounced bulge at the 6 o-clock position because of the glock feed ramp cuts. Make sure the die contacts the shell holder or shell plate when the ram is fully depressed. I assume your
chamber is clean. If you don't get it worked out, PM me and we can get together, I am in the Tuttle/Bridgecreek area. I certainly don't know it all, but after 40 years I've seen quite a bit of it.. Blitzfike

P.S. What brand dies and what press?

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also tend to lean towards either crimp or the OAL being too long. I recently changed my load for .45acp and initially ran into this same problem. 1/4 turn of the Lee factory crimp die fixed it.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. Cheap A$$ American Eagle brass. About 1/2 way down the case there is a bulge that gets jammed in the chamber. EVERY other kind of brass I loaded works fine. Now what to do with the 300 rounds it took to figure it out. I don't feel like pulling the bullets.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The only brass I've consistently had issues with was the A-merc stuff. Was that Am Eagle brass range pickup? If so, I'll bet it was fired from a Glock resulting in the case bulge. If not, disregard what I've said.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A-Merc is the stuff I am having issues with also. I just ASSUMED it was american eagle. I bought it from from a member here not long ago. (NOT his fault I am sure. He most likely got it from a range or bought it from someone as well.) I'll never mess with it again.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's your problem most likely. I actually found .38 A-merc cases that had thick enough rims that they wouldn't rotate through my revolver. Didn't have a caliper at the time, but it was like 5-10 thousandths thicker case rim. :o!

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that wasn't mentioned is if you are using lead bullets and a 3 die system that seats and crimps at stg 3, I have had lots of trouble with lead being pushed up in front of the case mouth and not letting them chamber all the way, I went to a 4 die set to seat at one stg. and taper crimp at the last stg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom