What are you planning to read this winter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

Maybe a few books by Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tyson as well.

Didn't Bryson write "A Walk in the Woods" about his trip up the Appalachian Trail?

ETA: Yep, ha!

I really enjoyed his book "A Walk in the Woods".

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started the Walt Longmire Mysteries. Just finished the 2nd book. I think that there are 9 so far.

If you enjoy the show, the books are great.

Dave

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started the Walt Longmire Mysteries. Just finished the 2nd book. I think that there are 9 so far.

If you enjoy the show, the books are great.
I've only seen the pilot, but I've really enjoyed the Audible versions of the Longmire books. The guy who reads them is absolutely perfect for it, particularly the way he read the ending of The Cold Dish...

I'm currently listening to Maj. Dick Winters's Beyond Band of Brothers; I just finished Jake McNiece's The Filthy Thirteen, so Truman Smith's The Wrong Stuff has to be next. Edward Beach's Submarine and Robert Bulkley's At Close Quarters: PT Boats In the US Navy are high on the list (I really enjoyed Beach's Run Silent, Run Deep), but they may come after Michael Collins's Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey, and I need to get Daniel Suarez's Kill Decision in there somewhere...

BTW, if you haven't read them already, I can't recommend Hornfischer's Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and Neptune's Inferno highly enough.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do textbooks count? If so it will be my 1. Dynamics, 2. electrical science, 3. materials, design, and manufacturing processes, and last bu not least 4. intro to ordinary differential equations.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do textbooks count? If so it will be my 1. Dynamics, 2. electrical science, 3. materials, design, and manufacturing processes, and last bu not least 4. intro to ordinary differential equations.

There are no Ordinary diff-eqs.
My head hurts just thinking about those.

Dave

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fire and Ice series by George R R Martin
Started watching "Game of Thrones" when they came out on DVD.

Started reading the first book about a month ago.
The dang books are so big it is going to take me a year to finish them.
Each one is about 1000 pages of small print, glad I got them on E-reader.
So far I am liking the DVD series better but the book is darn good and gives a lot more information that fleshes out the story lines.

I have the first five books--have read them, but am almost done with re-reading book 3. Interesting to read them after seeing the series. There are some differences, but they have captured the story and most of the characters quite well. We are looking forward to the continuation of the series.

It is unlikely to take you a year. These things are addictive. When Joffery killed my favorite minor character, I was not pleased. Still getting s**t about that from my wife . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom