What did you do to get prepared for season today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bought some new broadheads at basspro today. they have the redhead blackout 100gr broadheads on sale for $19.97, usually $29.99. they have like 60 or so reviews and 4.6 out of 5 star rating, so i figured id give them a try over my usual slick tricks. also bought a broadhead 4 arrow hip quiver. i dont like hunting or shooting my bow much with the quiver and arrows attached, so im going to give the hip quiver a try. heres a link to the broadheads if anyone is interested.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Blackout-FixedBlade-Broadheads-or-Replacement-Blades/product/79674/

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good deal on those thunderheads! I slung some arrows and was able to test out the loads I loaded up Thursday. 257 WBY berger 115gr vld with 63 grains of reloader 22

Here is my 4 shot group. I only loaded four to test this new load.

i921.photobucket.com_albums_ad56_257wby1911_targetjpg.jpg

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dammed nice shooting for 200 yds! I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks dennis. I've got a question for ya or for anyone else who reads this. The reloading info from Berger says starting load for RL22 is 61gr and max load is 64.5gr So I loaded them to 63gr. Nosler gives a max load of 69gr for the 115gr ballistic tip. With the kind of accuracy I have gotten on this first load, would you try working a hotter load? Also, what do you think about Nosler's max load being 4.5gr higher than the Berger? Loading it to only 63 grains my fps is around the 3150-3200 mark according to the load data. The factory 115gr Nosler bt is 3400fps. Would you try to get a few more FPS and see what the accuracy does, or just shoot the 63gr?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't try hotter if the accuracy is want you want out of it. Measure the length of the berger bullet compaired to the Nosler, I would imagine it's longer, therefore taking up more case space, and less powder needed. Barnes reloading data runs a little less powder but still achieving the same velocities also because of bullet length.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bought some new broadheads at basspro today. they have the redhead blackout 100gr broadheads on sale for $19.97, usually $29.99. they have like 60 or so reviews and 4.6 out of 5 star rating, so i figured id give them a try over my usual slick tricks. also bought a broadhead 4 arrow hip quiver. i dont like hunting or shooting my bow much with the quiver and arrows attached, so im going to give the hip quiver a try. heres a link to the broadheads if anyone is interested.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Blackout-FixedBlade-Broadheads-or-Replacement-Blades/product/79674/

The BlackOuts are a G5 broadhead, either the Montec or Stryker depending on which ones you got. Both great fixed blade heads... Not as good as the ol Slick Tricks though lol

I did some surgery on a trial cam today and brought it back to life.
Plus re-fletched some arrows, sharpened about a dozen broadheads and tuned a bow for a friend of mine.
Oh ya! I also watched a bunch of hunting shows to keep my mind nice and sharp :)

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, I haven't done a single thing to get ready for the season. I've been to dang busy lately. We are going out early Saturday to set feeders and cameras.

Latest posts

Top Bottom